Sexy Anemone Shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Doratus, Jul 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

These guys have been awesome in my 40g reef. I have nothing that could potentially make a meal out of these guys and I think that is the key. When first added to the tank there were 4, after the first day I could only find 2 and it's been just these 2 ever since. They don't seem to clean all that much but they sure do look cool. They go all over the tank and have become very brave. Sometimes they stick together, other times they are on opposite sides of the tank.

Anyway I was able to snap this pic and wanted to share. It's not the best pic ever but it's still fun.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Very cool, nice image.

4. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Sweet pic, are they opposite sexes? I can only tell the one.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Very nice shot.

6. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

I really have no idea, but now I want to find out. I'll let you know.

7. reefgirl16

reefgirl16 Feather Duster

Lovely :) lol i'm wanting a few in my 30 :( but i can't have them because my tomato clownfish might make a meal of them. Best of luck with yours though!!

the one on the left is most likely female they have a larger abdomen than the males

8. Click Here!

9. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

I have five in my BC 29 the two clowns could really seem to care less about their existence.

they live with probably a dozen hermits, a emerald, a ton of snails a cucumber and an urchin.

In fact they don't seem to do much of anything that I can tell.

10. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

The way to tell is look at their strips, the female has the broken band going around the abdomen, like the one you see the side profile of in your pic. Whereas the males have solid bands going around. You can also tell by the appendages under the abdomen, the females will have all of the little "legs" for holding the eggs and the males do not. I have one lucky dude in my tank, I managed to get 1 male and 4 females. It was just how Liveaquaria sent them to me.

11. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

This is one of my favorite saltwater critters. I want to get a few for my 10g nano. I'd like to get some for my 40b but they are so small I'd probably need like 20 just to see them every so often. LOL

12. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

I had a dozen in my 8g biocube, that ate tones of softies and lps, I now hate them. I have 1 left, my tiny clown was eating them.