Sea Hare

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by m_lacom99, Dec 23, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Hey all... Happy almost xmas...

I just bought a sea hare, he (or she... hard to say :-/ ) is a beast... at least 6" long when extended. I've read all i could on them but i wanted to know if any of you had one, just to get some info from you guys that have expirence with those ugly buggers. ;D.

I guess my first question is if they get stuck on a PH intake are they strong enough to get away from it on there own. When i put mine in the tank it kinda got stuck on a PH intake. I only waited a few seconds before i unplugged it cause i didnt know if he would of just stayed there.

Thanks for any info.

Marc.

2. Click Here!

3. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Oh and is it just me or is it snowing on the 3reef index. Matt i have enough snow up here as it is. We just got 18" of brand new white "crap" a couple days ago.

4. Trickman2

Trickman2 Bristle Worm

I have a sea hare and he does a great job with hair algae. I have not had any issues with him getting stuck. How much Flow is the power head throwing around?

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

it is snowing!

I dont know much about those little buggers, they look really cool and i might get one...one thing is, if it does get stuck and dies you might have some problems...because of toxins and such :(

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

What kinda of seahare some of those get like 18"?

7. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Trickman2, One is a maxi jet 400 @ 106gal/h, a maxi jet 600 @ 160gal/h and one running on the spray bar at 260gal/h.

Bruce what i've read so far is that they will shoot out some sort of ink if stressed or diyng but its not suppose to be toxic, its like a squid. They suggest to do a water change anyway.

Covey, I'm not 100% on this but i think it would be this one http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=dolaauri so no 18" sea hare for me thank god.

Thanks guys...

Marc.

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

ya thats what i thought lol, they r really cool guys, where are the pics!!!!

10. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Soon budy.... Its night night time here... so all the lights in the tank are closed.... probably after xmas you'll get them... ::)

11. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Ok... just a little update. A sea hare will get stuck in a power head and will not be able to get off on its own. :-/ The PH is a 260 gal/h for my spray bar. I wasnt at home but my girlfreind saw it starting to secrete its ink when it got stuck on the PH so she shut it off immediately. Its only been a couple of minutes but everything looks ok. Ill do a water change just to be sure. I was due anyway.

Marc.