Sallyfoot Ate my Cardinal

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Dchavez, Oct 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dchavez

Dchavez Plankton

I just recently got a Spotted cardinal. I fed everything before going to bed, but when i woke up in the morning there was my sally-foot eating the cardinal. Do you guys think the fish just died because of the transfer or did the crab actually hunt out the fish. If so, what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

2. Click Here!

3. gfoot2000

gfoot2000 Flamingo Tongue

most likely the fish died first, bring the remains and water sample to your lfs for a return or trade or whatever if they do that

4. Dchavez

Dchavez Plankton

I would but by the time I found it in the morning, all that was left was the spotted tail which didnt take the crab very long to finish. As for the water quality, I have been running tests everyday and there has been nothing out of the norm except for a lower pH which has been normal.

5. rainmkr07

rainmkr07 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I've never heard of them catching and eating a healthy fish like that... I would also think the fish was dead first...

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

FTR, I banashed 3 sl crabs to a 'rogue' tank after the second fish disappeared in a week in the dt. Once all the fish were gone from there, they cannabalized til only 1 was left. So maybe the fish was already dead, but if it was healthy and eating before lights out, I seriously doubt it.

One thing I've learned over the years is that any mobile crustacean can become an opportunistic predator as they mature, and sleeping fish are an easy target. I've lost quite a few to several species of "reef-safe" crabs, shrimp, and lobsters.

7. rainmkr07

rainmkr07 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yeah. I hear you. I would yank the crab. Not worth the chance he is grabbing sleeping fish.

8. Click Here!

9. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I have had a SLC since I set up my tank and have never had a problem with it. I have noticed it jump at a fish a time or two during feeding but it was more a competition to get to the mysis not an overt act of eating the fish imo. I would think the fish was already sick, on a downward slide or even dead and the crab did what nature tells it to.

10. Dchavez

Dchavez Plankton

Ok so I Just got home from class and I cant seem to find 2 of my porcelain crabs. I know they Hide a lot but I think im definitely going to remove the sally. What would be the best way to get him out without having to move a bunch of live rock?

11. Dchavez

Dchavez Plankton

Ok ive been trying to get him for a bit now and having a bit of trouble. whats the easiest way to get this crab out of here?

12. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

use a chunk of fish in a trap?