Rimless w/ snails? Carpet Surfing?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by crustytheclown, Feb 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

I am getting ready to add my cuc to my 40gal breeder that is rimless. I was just wondering if people with rimless tanks have had alot of problems with Nerites slimming there way out of the tank and trying to "carpet surf"?8)
    I have some nerites in my topless biocube and they find their way out of there all the time. I usually find about one every week or so that has attempted suicide. I just pick em up and throw them in the tank once more. I wonder how long they can be out of the water before they croak?

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Never had a rimless but they climb out of rimmed tanks just the same. I have found some pretty dry ones that ended up being fine. my guess on time would be eight hours or so.

4. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Yeah, mine stay out of water every night for atleast an hour or two..I turn off the lights and within an hour the snails start coming out of the sand on on the glass, they reach the tip top and stay there..I see them almost everynight..its wierdd...

5. Indiana Boy

Indiana Boy Coral Banded Shrimp

+1 to above

i find Nerite snails that climb out all the time. i just check behind my tank every couple of days. they always live as long as i check every 2 or 3 days. i often pick them up off the floor or even from inside of my stand. my tank is rimmed BTW.
    most snails can stay out of water for a while, just check periodically and you will be fine.

good luck!!!

6. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

also should i wait until the tank is showing signs of algae before adding a clean up crew? I havent got any diatoms, cyno, or green algae yet. Got some detritus on everything. I just dont want them to starve? I was thinking i could turn the lights on know, order the cuc and see what happens??? any suggestions?

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Occasionally they escape, but not any more often than with a rimmed tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

yea ive only found one snail that dropped on the floor behind, i actually moved my tank out from the wall so i can reach back there now and check when im doing top-offs