Please help Identify this snail......

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by bowlin26, Apr 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bowlin26

bowlin26 Plankton

[​IMG]

I need this snail identified.....Sorry about the quality. It looks like a freshwater pond snail shell, it is white with grey spots and bubble like. The snail is about 1/4 inch long and has a siphon nose. They like to sit on my gorgos and the glass. I have never seen them eat and I do believe they came off of wild collected algaes. I have looked everywhere and cannot find what they are...please help. Maybe a margenella or a type of nassaris snail? I havnt seen them eating anything but they are getting bigger and I have seen around 6 total in my tank thanks. I did see one of these guys sitting on one of my neritina snails for like 8 hours then I went to bed and did not see either snail when I got up.

2. Click Here!

3. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

get rid of ANY SNAIL THAT YOU CAN NOT ID. I only keep the ones I have added. I have removed two snails that eat only zoas.

4. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

better safe then sorry... get em out

5. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Neither Nassarius nor Marginella snails should spend time on your gorgonians. If it's spending time on them, it's probably eating them. I you can actually get a photo of the snail, I should be able to tell if it's one of the species that feeds on gorgonians or softies.

I tend to disagree about killing everything you can't ID. I usually vote to remove something if it is obviously eating something else you don't want eaten, and foregoing that, keeping it and trying to get an accurate ID on it.

Cheers,

Don