Pistol Shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by iCashew, Jul 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. iCashew

iCashew Astrea Snail

I am thinking of picking up a Tiger Pistol Shrimp and some type of goby pair for my 75 gal. I was wondering if I would have to worry about the Shrimp taking any thing out of the sandbed and taking it into his burrows, or since it is a large system would I not have to worry about it?

2. Click Here!

3. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

I wish I could help you but unfortunately I don't know much about tiger pistol shrimp.

Someone here will surely be along soon to help you out though. Good luck and welcome!

4. ZepQuarium

ZepQuarium Spaghetti Worm

My Tiger Pistol Shrimp and Banded Yellow Goby have been in my tank for almost a year now, even surviving a temperature holocaust (from a broken heater that killed 80% of the rest of the tank)

This pair, while initially added as an 'impulse buy', has quickly become one of if not my favorite thing in the aquarium. The Pistol is very fun to watch as he separates rocks into different sized piles, digs trenches, reinforces walls, etc.

However, until the pistol is large (and brave) enough, he will be timid. When I added the Pistol he was about 3/4" and For the first 6 months I had the tiger/goby pair they stayed hidden in their cave only coming out at night (when I would spy on them with a red light).

A few months ago, A much larger tiger emerged (now closer to 1.5-2 inches) and now both him and the Goby can be seen out and building during the day hours. His activities are quite intriguing.

For example One day I saw the hilarity of a hermit snail being dragged down and propped up on other rocks as a foundation to a current engineering plan of the Pistol. The pistol then walked inside his cave, and the hermit would emerge and scuttle for his life!!! Just then, the pistol would come back out, and inquisitively examine the moved shell he was using, drag it back and re-place it against the structure... This pattern repeated for a good while, and it actually had me laughing out loud!

Some Important Notes

Pistol's hunt and eat other shrimp. Within 1 week of being in my tank, my (then 3/4") Pistol wiped out and Ate all 6 of my 2" peppermint shrimp. He also has eaten at least one hermit crab... Add inverts with caution. I have two filter feeding crabs in the tank for over a month now and they havn't been touched by the Pistol... But I also buy ghost shrimp every 2 or 3 weeks for the pistol to enjoy... he goes through 12 in just over a week... otherwise he is a scavenger and seems to enjoy sinking pellets if they fall near his cave entrance.

Add the pistol/goby pair together... and if possible introduce them before adding into your tank. I bought mine already paired (the best way to ensure they'll get along). Being basically Blind, the Pistol will not search the tank for the best possible location, they will start digging to safety as soon as they hit the ground... so when introducing them to your tank, 'shoo' them toward whatever corner you want them to initially inhabit (although their cave system will eventually spread, I have found they keep this first borrow as their home territory.)

As a tiny engineer/cave builder, the pistol is constantly looking to add to his cave system. You can aid him by dropping small rocks and or shells near his den periodically. He will eventually find them and use them as he sees fit, could be a foundation, retaining wall, cave door, etc. Plus it is very fun to see what he will build with the new material!

You mentioned getting the Tiger Pistol, this pistol gets larger @ around 3 inches and can pose a threat to other shrimp or even (i've heard) corals if in scavenging mode... There are other pistol's like the candy cane that will remain smaller and pose less of a risk to other inverts. Still, I do have the Tiger :) I like him a whole lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  5. iCashew

iCashew Astrea Snail

I know you said pistol shrimp eat the occasional invert, does that mean the I will be unable to put a Maxima Clam in the tank also?

6. ZepQuarium

ZepQuarium Spaghetti Worm

Not sure myself... although I would venture a guess as yes?

It seems beyond shrimp, the pistol only attacks what wonders into its den...

The Hermit Crab and other things the Pistol ate would wander often way too close to the front door of The Pistol...

Any Crabs/corals etc that were not near the entrace to the Pistol Den seems to be un-affected...

7. ladwpwrkr

ladwpwrkr Fire Worm

+1 to everything zepquarium said. I also had one for about a year and a half. I really enjoyed him as he was always "working", a very active and fun inhabitant to the reef. I did have an orange spotted goby, however they did not pair up, they lived in harmony together. I did occasionally see him carry a hermit, or snail into his cave, but they would then soon emerge and scurry off. I did on occasion see him pull a fish or two into his cave as well. I'm not sure if the were already distressed and ready to die or if they just happen to swim too close to his cave. I have had a few missing fish, and i did accuse Mr. Tiger, but not sure. I reccomend keeping him well fed. I used to dangle some food on a long skewer in front of his cave, and he would dart out and grab the food. He had a tunnel system under my rocks in which he travel from one side of the tank to the other....really cool, cuz I kind of never knew where he would emerge. Nonetheless, he was very fun, and I believe u will enjoy him. Good luck.

8. Click Here!

9. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

Would a young Tiger that's introduced into a tank (29 gallon) pose a risk to a fully grown Fire Shrimp? I should be able to get him to build a den outside the cave my Fire Shrimp is in... I just don't want to have it kill an expensive Fire Shrimp.

10. ladwpwrkr

ladwpwrkr Fire Worm

Not too sure, would depend on how much smaller. But it will most definitely have it for dinner once it is able to, no matter where in the tank, they will eventually cross paths...especially a 29 gallon. Check out some videos on you tube or the web on pistol shrimps. check this one out ‪Pistol Shrimp‬‏ - YouTube other shrimp dont stand a chance! Good luck!