Pic of friendly Asterina Stars

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by crank2211, Jan 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

I noticed these friendly love-stars holding hands for awhile on my glass last night as I was cleaning it.

[​IMG]

Presumably, shenanigans ensued and they soon parted ways.

[​IMG]

I helped mediate the ordeal with my mag float. My glass is now much cleaner, and these guys worked out their problems on the sand. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Two starfish passing in the night. ;D

Looks like they have been loosing legs to make more asternia. They have their little tummys out too, eating the film algae I suppose.

1 person likes this.
  4. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Isnt those the ones that have been known to eat some softies in the past? if they more then 3 or 4 legs? cant remember how many.

5. jtr38230

jtr38230 Skunk Shrimp

I love star fish they are fun to watch. The shenanigans was over sports...lol

6. crank2211

I wasn't aware that they lost their legs to make new starfish. That's pretty interesting - thanks for giving me a new topic to research k+

I also wasn't aware of this. I haven't really noticed a decline in the few softies I do have, other than a colony or two of zoas. They once flourished in my tank, lately they seem to be disappearing. Possibly related? I never thought to attribute it to the stars.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

There is only one bad species of Asterina stars supposedly and they are very rare in the hobby. Those guys are safe because the bad ones only eat coral.

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

you should make that first pic your avatar pic ;D its so cute haha

10. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Oh alright..Well i think i have seen those rare ones in my 29g a while ago..My softies were going down hill until i moved the LR and saw them on the coral..Took them out and the softies went back to doing well.

11. crank2211

My girlfriend thought so also. She said shes going to use it on facebook.

I do need to get in gear and set an avatar pic, I've been procrastinating for two years already!

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

These pictures demonstrate that asternia can have any number of legs and you can not tell one that eats corals from one that doesn't by the number of legs.

In the picture one has 7 appendages and the other 6. Tomorrow one may have only 5 or 4 as they drop them off to grow new stars.

Great images.