nudis help please

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by msk454, May 14, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. msk454

msk454 Astrea Snail

how do you kill zoo eating nudis???????:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

How many do you have? Are you sure they are eating zoopolyps or are they eating algae? What do they look like and how big are they? Try to pick them up with tweezers possibly.

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

If they are on the zoo's, chances are they are attacking them. You can also tell if the zoanthids dont come out. You can dip the rock in coral dip to rid of them and then quarantine till you kill all of them.

5. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

How many other zoanthid colonies do you have? You should NEVER put any zoos in you tank without a FW dip and inspecting the colony for nudi eggs. I dont care if they came from your best reefing buddy, ebay, or your LFS. Dont just throw them in FW either.
    Fill a bucket or large bowl with 1-2gl of RODI or even tap water-bring the temp to the same temp as your tank. Then add some PH buffer to bring it to 8.3 and add a few drops of iodine.
    After you have done this-place the colony in the FW dip and let it sit for about 3 minutes. You will kill pods and other things as well, who cares, then take the rock and voilently shake it back and forth for another minute. You will see all remaining nudis and other life good and bad die in the dip. Then inspect the polyps for eggs, they will be white, small and in a spiral shape. If you see these take them off with tweezers. The FW dip will not kill the eggs.
    You can either do this at night but if you do this in the day I suggest running your actinics the rest of the day.
    The polyps will be annoyed for a few days but will usually open within 24-48 hours. If you have multiple colonies I suggest that you dip every one in your tank as the smaller nudis can be blown in current.
    Good luck and always dip!