new bubbletip anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by tigermike74, Oct 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I finally found a nice Entacmaea quadricolor for my Gold Striped Maroon Clown today at my LFS. It was a nice size, about 4-6" diameter, green in color. The last anemone that my clown had was a rose anemone. I wasn't sure how he would take to the new anemone, and I was going in aware that he may not host it. I let the new addition "1/4 cup per hour" acclimate to the tank over a 4 hour period. As soon as I placed the BTA in the tank, I put it near a rock where it attached. No sooner than this happening, my clown rushed right into it and was having a great time!!! I was amazed how fast he took to it. Next thing I know, I see 3 tentacles in my clowns mouth, and he proceeds to swallow them!!! Then 10 seconds later he takes another bite of about 4-5 more tentacles! :eek: I started freaking out and was about ready to pull the anemone out to prevent more of this from happening, but that was the last of the biting. The anemone hasn't deflated, inverted or shrunk, it looks to be very happy in the tank. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this, where the clown eats at the anemone he is hosting? Is he ingesting some of the anemone to build his immunity to the stinging? My clown looks as happy as can be now, too. I'll post pics of this tomorrow after I get the pics shrunk down. Thanks in advance everyone! ;D

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

It's normal behaviour - but im not to sure why its done.

1 person likes this.
  4. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Thanks! The BTA moved in between 2 rocks this morning, probably to get away from the waterflow, but it's still full and thick. My clown was all wrapped up in it, so it looks like things are great there too. :)

5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

6. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Here it is...
    [​IMG] :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008