Mushroom Anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by MRK82, Nov 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MRK82

MRK82 Astrea Snail

I have quite a biggish mushroom anemone who has recently let go of the small rock he was clung onto. For the last few days I have simply left him to move round the tank aware that he was doing quite a bit of floating due to the current.
    Last night I got home from work and couldn't see him anywhere, using a powerhead I flushed round the back of my rockwork to see if he was still floating, but no signs of him. As I was putting the powerhead back I noticed him stuck in the cage of the powerhead. After some gentle persuasion I managed to get him out without too much damage. What should I do about him being loose in the tank and stopping this from happening again?
    At the minute I have put him in a small glass container with a rock and a bit of substrate, rubber-banded a net to the top to prevent his escape and left the whole thing sat on CC substrate out of direct current.

Any other / better suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

That is fine. When I am fragging shrooms I usually cut off a few heads and use a cup with some small rubble in it. Drop em in and wait. It generally takes a few weeks for them to attach to a rock. Mushrooms usually detach if they do not like where they are placed. They light low light. Good luck!!

4. MRK82

MRK82 Astrea Snail

Thanks Vinny. I have also got a mushroom which was drooping over about 4 rock which I HAD to move due to the Aptaisa I wanted to get rid of. When trying to move the rocks I noticed the mushroom had attached itself to them all! I had to pull it off and frag it. Cutting off the entire stalk and rubber banding it to another small rock. Its doing fine, the rubber band is making a bit of a depression but its extending fully just like before! I've heard of carefully sewing them to a rock using a needle and fish line????? what’s the best way?

5. Vinnyboombatz

I like the rubble method. Using a container like you have done.:) I usually add a little sand then small pieces of rubble to cover the bottom of the container. Then I will wedge the mushroom between two pieces and wait.Once it has attached itself I will gently remove it and glue it to a larger rock.

6. MRK82

MRK82 Astrea Snail

What’s the best way to glue it to a rock? Do you remove the mushroom (and rubble which it’s holding onto) from the water along with the rock you want to glue it to? or can you apply the glue to the rubble and submerge it to stick it to the rock? Reading this back, it sounds like a silly question???

7. Vinnyboombatz

I remove the container from the tank gently pour most of the water out then carefully remove the small rock/rocks its attached to. I then super glue (out of the water) the smaller rock/rocks to a larger one. Super glue gel works the best. Simply squirt some on the large rock and place the smaller rock onto it. Wait a couple minutes and it is stuck!!!8)

8. Click Here!

9. MRK82

MRK82 Astrea Snail

Thanks mate. much appreciated!