mini maxi anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by tank1970, Feb 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

Well I told myself I wasn't going to put an anemone in my DT - but this week ended up taking one from a local reefer that had three in his. Awesome colour and very cool. It has not moved much since I got him - only a 1/4 inch(5 cm)
    The issue is it is attached to some very nice zoas I would like to place him on his own rock. Any suggestions on moving this guy or how?

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I think rubbing some ice on the foot is supposed to make it uncomfortable, releasing the foot from the rock and it will then search for its new home in your reef.

4. tank1970

have you done this? And did it work? He is not in a bad place just not in the place I would like ;) so it's not a necessity per say. Would like to move him if I can - since he was attached to a piece of zoa's when i got him.

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I know people do this, you can also try pointing a powerhead at it's foot. IMO, this may be less stressfull as long as the power of the powerhead is within reason. I.e. you don't want to tear the nem apart.

6. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

the best way to remove a nem and easiest, pick the rock up out the water the nem will instantly let go a couple seconds out the water..

never damaged a nem doing this and works everytime and take a couple second..

7. tank1970

Tried that did not work

8. Click Here!

9. tank1970

Nice idea - I have a small 180 should work

10. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

so keep it out till it releases...

ive never had a nem that didnt release the rock when it was taken out the water..more time it will let just before it breaks the surface of the water..

so did you have any luck getting it to release.

11. tank1970

nope tried the power head but I think it just liked it LOL - not powerful enough. But I will admit it's not a biggie since it seems to be slowly going were I want it. Like everything in this hobby just wait and then wait some more :)

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I haven't personally done the ice trick. I heard of others doing it. Have you tried that yet?