maxi-mini anemone ate fish!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by schackmel, Jul 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

We have a maxi-mini carpet in one of our tanks for the past couple months. It has been doing very well and has grown quite a bit. We have been feeding krill and other meaty foods and the nem has been readily taking it. This carpet is bigger then most that I have seen, and envelopes its food with its body. (still is a maxi-mini)

These are not known to be fish eaters, but this morning woke to seeing my heniochus butterfly banner hanging out of its mouth. Of course now the nem is gigantic. As these are supposed to be safer of all the nems to keep in general, as they tend to roam less and their nemocysts are not as potent as other, I thought I would pass this along as a reminder to others to be careful!

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Wow that's weird. Sorry to here this.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

My opinions of anemones are well known. I allowed this one because Mel wanted one and these are known to be less WORTHLESS PIECES OF CRAP when compared to other WORTHLESS PIECES OF CRAP!!! In spite of it's status as being less worse, the stupid thing still killed an awesome Heniochus with a 6 inch banner. It's my own darn fault.

WORTHLESS PIECE OF CRAP!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: So Curt, I'm not quite sure I get your meaning. Can you clarify? :hehe:

1 person likes this.
  6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

;D

Like I said. It's my own fault. I never should have allowed it. Thank you for your concern. LOL

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Anytime Curt. That's what friends are for :lol:

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

thats sucks, sorry to hear. one of my LFS had a mini maxi that ate a big clarkii clownfish

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Oh wow "Walking Turds" and "Worthless Crap" all in less than a week. :) Man I love 3reef!

Sorry about the fish. That has got be an ultra rare happening.

Hey Curt, could you see the nem winking at you as it swallowed? ROFL;D

11. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I have a maxi & a rock flower nem and all of my fish stay clear of them. Are the odds that the fish in question could have been sick or something? We all know in this hobby other things will feed on the weak or injured sooner than later?

12. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

Sorry to hear of your loss...sounds like a beautiful fish.

Two things come to mind with this. First it seems there are two species being sold in the trade as maxi-mini. What I consider the "true" maxi-mini only grows to approx. 2"...the other species looks basically the same but has a max size of 5"-6". I'm guessing you have the latter as I can't imagine the smaller ones being able to take on a larger fish. Secondly, I would also have to question whether the fishes health was in some way comprised (even if it didn't appear so) as I can't imagine a good sized fish that perhaps accidentally brushed against the nem not being able to "jerk" free.

Having had a 100's of the these pass through my tanks and a few that I have kept for awhile, that's just my observations.