Matchup - Coral Banded -v- Arrow Crab

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Steve34, Aug 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

I have a coral banded and am interested in adding an arrow crab. different species, but physically similar. Will they be battling to the death? Can they co-exist?

Are my two clowns at risk?

I assume my common feather dusters could be a snack, does it help if they are kept on higher rocks off of the sand bed?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

arrow will win no doubt.

arrow may eat your clowns.

you know a arrow crab can climb right?

4. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

Well damn it's official this LFS is full of people who don't know anything. Is there a frowny face smilie? lol

5. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

From Liveaquaria.com:

The Arrow Crab, also known as the Spider Crab, has extremely long legs. It is called the Arrow Crab because of the shape of the body and head. The size is variable, many reaching six inches, and some up to 10 inches. Females may be dramatically smaller. Different species inhabit different parts of the world. The most common Arrow Crab (Stenorhynchus seticornis) comes from the Caribbean, but other species are imported from the Indo-Pacific region, eastern Africa, and California. They normally inhabit portions of the reef usually associated with a small cave or crevice.

It is a hardy, long-lived invertebrate, that can be housed in the reef aquarium. This crab has been known to attack crustaceans such as Banded Coral Shrimp, and may even attack small slow moving fish. All crabs are opportunistic feeders and if insufficient food is present they may pick at mushrooms or polyps searching for food. Breeding Arrow Crabs in the aquarium is not generally successful. Larvae are free-swimming and hatch in about two weeks. It will accept almost all meaty, flake and tablet foods.