Mantis Shrimp - Safe to house more than one in tank?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by =Jwin=, Oct 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

So after visiting an LFS today and finding out that they have several hitch hiker mantis in one tank (as they find them in their rock they put them in that tank, which is sadly behind the scenes with their Q tanks so I couldn't see it) and since they are florida rock hitch hikers, they're probably of the N. Wennerae or similar (3 or less inches long). So I was wondering, is it possible for me to house another mantis in my N. Wennerae's 9 gallon tank? There's about 8 pounds of extremely porous, chunky rock. Which is a perfect little playground for my one mantis, but after seeing another N. Wennerae being perfectly NOT shy (like mine) and running around in the open in one of their display tanks, I was wondering if I could have another one in there. It'd make things more interesting. Thoughts? I know with Peacock's, it's a very very very bad idea to have two in a tank, unless they're a mated pair. But I'm sure Caribbean mantis encounter each other all the time in the wild, so why not have them leave peacefully in captivity?

2. Click Here!

3. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

idk i figure they would kill each other if of the same sex

4. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Also depending on the species, male and female may come together only to mate, or they may bond in monogamous long-term relationships.Wikipedia rocks ...........In the monogamous species, the mantis shrimp remain with the same partner for up to 20 years. They share the same burrow, and there are reasons[which?] to suspect that these pairs can coordinate their activities. Both sexes often take care of the eggs (biparental care). In Pullosquilla and some species in Nannosquilla, the female will lay two clutches of eggs, one that the male tends and one that the female tends. In other species, the female will look after the eggs while the male hunts for both of them. Once the eggs hatch the offspring may spend up to three months as plankton

5. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Sorry Jwin they will most likely kill each other. They don't really live peacefully in the wild either, they just have more space to run from each other. Maybe in a larger tank you could has success, but in a 9 gal I don't think there will be sufficient retreat space considering how fast they are.

N. Wennerae can be bred in captivity but the male has to be added when the female is in heat, and removed after sex has occurred. It isn't economical to breed them in captivity though. While in the plankton form they have to be separated as they are cannibalistic and survival rates are low.

6. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Thanks for the info Stepho :( The truth hurts sometimes :D

I did add another 2.8 lbs of rock to Princess's tank. So now it's like a freakin' jungle gym for her. :lol:

7. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Your the opposite of me haha. I took most of my rock out of my mantis tank. I have maybe 2-3 pounds left in the DT

8. Click Here!

9. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I'm adding more rock as she gets bigger. If she gets too big I'll probably have to crush up some rock and re aquascape to give her a good cave to live in. My rocks are a tad large for her to move herself at the moment. And then she has a 1/2" and a 3/4" PVC T fittings to play in. :)

10. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

your poor mother........ lol what kind of mantis do you guys have?

1 person likes this.
  11. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

:lol: You get karma for making me laugh!