Mantis Shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by jshuste, Jan 27, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jshuste

jshuste Plankton

I have a mantis shrimp that hides out in my rock, hes not very big and hasn't killed any fish yet but my coral beauty get slices in its fin (i'm assuming from the mantis) My question is how do i get him out without destroying my rock.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

What else do you have in your tank, and how big is your Coral Beauty?

4. jshuste

jshuste Plankton

I have a Gold Strip Maroon, blue damsel, scopus tang, and royal groma

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=General;num=1106880045;start=0#1 date=01/28/05 at 02:46:22]...how big is your Coral Beauty?[/quote]

Which fins are are you referring too?

6. jshuste

jshuste Plankton

well its tail, and the fins its uses to swim with, i know exactly where the mantis lives, would it kill it by plugging his hole with an apoxy

7. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Yes, Unless it digs it's way out the other side ;D
    They are known for their burrowing ability, chances are that would be the last you saw of it though.

8. Click Here!

9. jshuste

jshuste Plankton

its just a little guy, still bright green, so i hope he dies before he digs himself out

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=jshuste link=board=General;num=1106880045;start=0#0 date=01/27/05 at 21:40:45]I have a mantis shrimp that hides out in my rock, hes not very big and hasn't killed any fish yet but my coral beauty get slices in its fin (i'm assuming from the mantis) My question is how do i get him out without destroying my rock.[/quote]
    It's not likely that the mantis is damaging your fish's fin, especially if it's a smashing mantis. I would look for another cause.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=jshuste link=board=General;num=1106880045;start=0#2 date=01/28/05 at 12:02:21]I have a Gold Strip Maroon, blue damsel, scopus tang, and royal groma
    [/quote]
    Any inverts? Shrimp, crabs?

12. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

[quote author=amcarrig link=board=General;num=1106880045;start=0#7 date=01/28/05 at 15:41:46]
    It's not likely that the mantis is damaging your fish's fin, especially if it's a smashing mantis. I would look for another cause.[/quote]

Agree with amcarrig here. I would almost bet on the Maroon Clown or the Damsel. Even if the mantis is a spearing mantis it wouldn't cause that kind of damage unless it actually captured the Coral Beauty, IMO.

Regardless, IMHO, the mantis must go away anyway because it will get big unless it is one of the Florida type Mantis that are small and belong, as I've heard it, to neither group, smashers or spearers. You could start a mini mantis-tank (meaning the tank is small not the mantis). ;D Don't you have a Mantis tank amcarrig? Or am I thinking of someone else here at 3reef?

Unless there is some sort of fin disease. I know in FW tanks it's just called finrot. I would not think this would be the problem because it looks different than what you are describing.

Try a night patrol and see if somebody is nipping at the little Beauty!! ;)

Drew