ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #31
Clown Trigger

Skin: Classic
stepho has a reputation beyond reputestepho has a reputation beyond reputestepho has a reputation beyond reputestepho has a reputation beyond reputestepho has a reputation beyond reputestepho has a reputation beyond reputestepho has a reputation beyond reputestepho has a reputation beyond reputestepho has a reputation beyond reputestepho has a reputation beyond reputestepho has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyds7NY View Post
Well, after a long fought battle after work the mantis was removed unharmed and was donated to my LFS so now my watchman and his little friend are in my tank.

And as a point, just because your mantis never destroyed your rocks doesn't mean that it isn't possible. I pulled out a cup of fine rubble dust from my tank after he decided there wasn't enough tunnels for his likings. Because of this experience I will not have a mantis in a reef tank, or a soon-to-be in my case.

Thanks for not harming him.

If your only bad hitch hiker was a mantis be thankful. I would take ten mantises over vermitid snails anyday. At least a mantis can be removed, my vermitid snails multiply by the hundreds every day.
stepho is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #32
Zoanthid

Skin: Mint
marlinman has a reputation beyond reputemarlinman has a reputation beyond reputemarlinman has a reputation beyond reputemarlinman has a reputation beyond reputemarlinman has a reputation beyond reputemarlinman has a reputation beyond reputemarlinman has a reputation beyond reputemarlinman has a reputation beyond reputemarlinman has a reputation beyond reputemarlinman has a reputation beyond reputemarlinman has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyds7NY View Post
I wasn't interested in store credit, I just felt safer bringing home my goby and pistol shrimp with him gone. I just gave the mantis to the cashier. He was a tough little bugger to catch, luckly he ran into a rock that was on top of my tank so I didn't have to move much rock. He did grow from >1/2" to about 2" in about 3 weeks or so.
How big is your tank Casey? That would be impossible for me with my 210g reef tank. He is way too fast with too many rocks to hide in.
marlinman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #33
Bubble Tip Anemone

Skin: Dark
Yellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond repute

3link 
gallery
Default Re: The Mantis is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyds7NY

First, if I wanted a mantis tank I wouldn't care obviously but that is not my plan. If the little guy comes quietly I will try to take him to the LFS, if he keeps destroying my tank and doing drive-bys while giving me the finger then I will drop kick him into the Hudson river.

They may be great to have, I just don't want it around. I don't want to waste my time and money buying things for my tank to have this little snot-nosed brat waddle along in the tank thinking its his own smorgasbord.
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #34
Fire Worm

Skin: Mint
Caseyds7NY is a splendid one to beholdCaseyds7NY is a splendid one to beholdCaseyds7NY is a splendid one to beholdCaseyds7NY is a splendid one to beholdCaseyds7NY is a splendid one to beholdCaseyds7NY is a splendid one to beholdCaseyds7NY is a splendid one to beholdCaseyds7NY is a splendid one to behold

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinman View Post
How big is your tank Casey? That would be impossible for me with my 210g reef tank. He is way too fast with too many rocks to hide in.
My tank is a 40 breeder. When I got home the mantis was jogging around the tank jumping from one rock to the next so I waited for him to go into a cave so that I could bring my nets in and he went into a whole that I knew was only a one way and it was in the rock that was in the middle on the top. From what I have been reading I guess I got really lucky catching him so fast, maybe 30 min the second time. I also only have 12 rocks (55 lbs) so he only had a few options.

On a sad note my goby decided to see what was on the other side of the glass this morning (I think) so he was chilling on the carpet for about 30 min. When I found him he was barely moving but still alive so I through him back in and now he is hiding in the back of the tank. I hope he makes it. I have since cut the glass for the top so no more escaping for him.

I have been too lazy to post pics of my start up but I hope to post all the pics tomorrow so that I can get some opinions that everything looks like it should since I am fairly new to the hobby.
Caseyds7NY is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #35
Bubble Tip Anemone

Skin: Dark
Yellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond reputeYellow Tang has a reputation beyond repute

3link 
gallery
Default Re: The Mantis is back!

The topic of this thread should be
The Adventures of Casey and the Mantis Shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!

Tags
mantis