LT Anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Chris Jones, Aug 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Feather Duster

I am having the worst luck with an anemone i recently aquired. it is a long tentacle bubble anemone and i cant seem to make him happy. The LFS told me that this is a hardy type anemone but with any anemone it is hit or miss when it comes to keeping him. well, he is now one fourth the size he was when i got him (he is all squinched up) and his tentacles are not inflated. I try to put him where there is good flow, (LFS suggested cupping him in my hand to hold him in the spot where i want him to anchor) sometimes he looks ok, and other times he lets go and gets pushed into a spot in the rocks where he is not pointed correctly ( what is pointed correctly???) and then shrivels up again. I truely have not a clue as to what makes a anemone happy and he is showing his disgust. my water parameters are all in good range and i just did a 1/3 water change to lower my nitrates. everyone happy but this guy. I would love tips and suggestions.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

First off it's either a Long Tentacled or Bubble Tipped anenome, they are different animals all together. Secondly, the are motile and will usually will move to where they are most comfortable.

With only 130 watts in your 46 gallon threre probably isn't sufficient light for the zoanxthellae algae to properly photosynthesize.

4. Chris Jones

It is a long tentacle, the LFS said it was a member of the "bubble Anemone family" dont know if that is right. but please expound on the lack of light i have, and what would be adaquate. or if you could recommend a site with info on these that would be great. my wife saw this and liked it, and i dont like getting anything without knowing how to care for it, but i also like pleasing her. now i have to educate myself quick. thanks for your help.

5. Craig Manoukian

6. Craig Manoukian

Long Tentacle Anemone - LTA
    (Macrodactyla doreensis)

Bulb or Bubble Tipped Anemone - BTA  
    (Entacmaea quadricolor)

Ask your LFS how an LTA can be similar when they are a completely different genus and species.  Being a member of the Cnidaria Family is like saying that wrasses are similar because they are from the same family.  There are tremendous differences between Flasher Wrasses, genus Paracheilinus, and Paddle Fin Wrasses, genus Thallasoma.  The former are reef safe fish and the latter not.

The link above mentions the difference in lighting requirements between the two anemones.

7. Chris Jones

Ty very much i'm doing the reading thing now and appreciate the input!

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

No problem. I would go back to the LFS and try to exchange the LTA for a BTA. They sold you the wrong goods man!

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I was actually looking searching on the net for stuff about anemones and came to your page and question. Mine was doing the same thing. Try adding a liquid vitamin or this stuff called "Coral-Gro". It has a ton of calcium in it and mine perked up as soon as I added it. I put it in everyday and they've been ok ever since. Also, it might just be poopin'. Every few weeks when they do they look just about dead. If that doesn't work, try adding more sea salt til it's to the max allowance of salinity. :)

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Don't you feed it actual food? Silversides....Krill????

12. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

I got a green BTA last night and was looking for some info. Thanks for the link!

My only concern this morning is there seems to be something hanging out of it's mouth. Hopefully, this is temporary and will pass. Other than that, it's looking great, much better in fact than it did in the LFS.