Looking for a invert to clean my sand

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by erock38, Oct 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

I have a 36 gallon bow front tank. With 40lbs of sand. I already have 4 red legged crabs and 6 blue hermit crabs. They are doing a good job on my rock but I want something to clean the sand so when I do get fish I will have something to help me keep it clean. Which invert is best?

2. Click Here!

3. Jake1

Jake1 Astrea Snail

Why not get a orange spotted goby. I have one in my 75 with 120pounds of sand and he keeps it so clean I don't have to vacuum it at all

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Do you provide pods for him or do you have a heavily populated refugium? Do all gobies require pods?

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

What algae is growing on your substrate? A fix could be as simple as more flow or a reduction in nutrients.

6. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

My rock is pink, purple and I think red algae. I am looking for an a cheap power being that my tank is not so big. I have pictures of my rock under the live rock section. I was having green algae but my crabs quickly took care of that.

7. sqwat

sqwat Plankton

Fighting conches they will keep it perfectly clean the also eat cyno.Mexican turbo's also go on the sandbed sometimes atleast mine do but my conchescare worth every penny and so cool looking like a elephant with that trunk.they also spawned in my tank

8. Click Here!

9. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

my two fav cuc for the sand are tiger tails and conchs (i have a strawberry conch)

10. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Check out reefcleaners.org for a cleanup crew,their packages are very reasonable,or you can order just what you want.They ship snails by regular usps so shipping is cheap.I f this is a new tank setup what you are seeing on your sandbed could be diatoms and will likely disapear on their own once they have consumed the silicates commonly found in a new system.If you would like to add flow a coulple of Koralia powerheads would be a good inexspensive choice.

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

What are your nitrate and phosphate #s? From experience, finding the source is more beneficial. I had to completely tear down my tank 3 years ago and start over. I have no algae in my tank now because I keep my nutrients in check.

12. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I think this is a new setup,he purchased the rock that way from lfs,good point though.