Long Tentacle Anenomie's don't like to be seen

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by skennelly, Jan 12, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

Greeting fellow reefers,

I have 2 LTA's and they always want to move towards the back of my tank behind all the rocks where no one can view them. I have one that moved behind the rocks and then opened bigger then I've ever seen it. Why do do this? It makes it very difficult to impossible to feed them.

I want to show them off, but they prefer not to be seen.
    I physically tried moving one before and later that day it moved itself again behind the rocks. Since I just let them do as they wish.

Is this a sign of anything going on in the tank, that I should be aware of?

Sean

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

It could be a water flow issue. Meaning they are looking for a place that has some flow but not a whole ton. Is the viewing areas you want them in high flow areas?

J

4. skennelly

The front of the tank definitely gets the most amount of water flow as apposed to behind the rocks where flow is still there, but not nearly as high. It would be nice if they moved to the front of the tank, but as long as they are happy and healthy I don't care.

Sean

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Sean,

Good attitude! Either change the flow or leave them be, those ar your options.

6. skennelly

Yeah, maybe I'll play around with the flow and see what happens.

Thanks

7. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

I just got a BS in the art of "Non-Invasive Anemone Manipultatory Skills" (really a big ol BS)....the motion of ur ocean plays a big role.....some have it.....others want it.....but everybody needs it! Ne ways.... ;)
    Just play with your PH's a bit....I've always hand a minimum of 3 PH's on some sort of wave maker in all my tanks (larger than 5 gals).....but even with endless experiments some anemones just refuse to be sociable.

8. Click Here!

9. tangov559

tangov559 Astrea Snail

My LTA doesnt even stick to anything. It just floats freely so i put i behind my rocks. The funny thing is that it eats whenever i feed it too. Is this normal?