Long Spined Urchin turning white???

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Executivelevel, Feb 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Executivelevel

Executivelevel Peppermint Shrimp

I have a black long spined urchin, who seems pretty healthy and happy he has grown a lot latly and is getting big! But 5 of his spines have started turning white. they are all even one on each side is that normal?? or is something wrong with him?? He moves around a lot but seems to spend most his time behind my live rock in the back of the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Executivelevel

hes been coming out more the last couple of days, and is getting really big, but Im still worried about these white spines

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Is it a long spined sea urchin?? I have one of these and some of his spines have turned white in patches - i dont think its a problem cos i've had him ages and he's been like that since as far back as i can remember!

5. Executivelevel

good that makes me feel better =) thanks

6. gerritmatton

gerritmatton Astrea Snail

I am a active diver and I have seen a lot of long spined urchins with some with spines of spines that are partially colored white and black. I think it is some natural coloring, maybe something that develops when they get mature?