How many inverts for 30 gallon tank?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Mkizla, Sep 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

At the moment my clean up crews are...6 hermit crabs,
    (3 of them are small as fish poop.)

3 small nas snail

and 1 (i forgot which type of snail) But mostly hangs out on tank glass, and rocks, has round shaped, shell, *similar shell type as you see snails in your yard*

Is there any cuc i am currently missing? And should i add more hermit and nass snail?

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

general rule of thumb is 1 per gallon.

4. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

so, i need 30 hermit and 30 nas snails???

5. divott

divott Giant Squid

roughly 30 in total mkizla. i would say more snails than hermits. also i would stay away from the bigger turbo snails. mini bulddozers they are. lol

1 person likes this.
  6. pks4life420

pks4life420 Fire Worm

add about 15-20 nas snails to began and maybe 5-10 hermits...maybe a starfish too....I wouldnt go with to many at once.....start with smallier numbers then work your way up until you have enough cuc.....if you over do it you'll have deaths in the tankl(not forsure) but hey nobody wants that

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Visit reefcleaners.org and fill out the form in the custom clean up crews page. Nobody can answer this question better than john.

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

Is star fish needed for a 29 gallon tank? I hear sand stir star fish will die in 29 gallon from starvation. Is there a star fish, any starfish that will survive in 29? Thats reef safe and not aggresive?

1 person likes this.
  10. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

also you need some snails that will eat algae because nass snails will only eat meaty foods and hermits do the same thing i suggest cerith snails and also the small snail that you have in your tank might be a margarita snail, astrea snail

11. divott

divott Giant Squid

good thinking mkizla , no star for you. lol. although could get a brittle star. good detrius , scavenging eater.

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

+1 ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Home

I don't like that rule of thumb quoted above one bit. you need a good array of snails, all of one or another is never enough.

I have a 55 gallon tank... to give an idea, I have about 150-200 snails of about 6 different species. I have 0 algae, 0 nitrates, 0 refugium (and lots of good habits)...

star fish needs at least a 55, but I'm not getting one... too close for comfort for me. also, the sea star needs an established sandbed... I've seen 1 year quoted a lot... otherwise they'll starve... sea stars are more for you (like a fish) than they are part of the CuC (though, they are CuC inverts).

My tank has a ton of hitchhiking dwarf brittle stars... so I do still get some level of sea star enjoyment ;D

good luck