How to lure RBTA where you want it, anyone else tried this?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by jimmy_beaner, May 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

So, I was in the process of switching to LED lighting from the stock BC 29 PC lighting and the last couple days before everything came in, the RBTA decided to take a tank tour. It ended up towards the back and would some times even sit right in the path of the pump output nozzle. It looked like it was trying to get higher in the tank (towards the light). I've had the RBTA for almost 2 months now and regularly feed it (2-3 times a week). It's grown and has mostly been happy. I didn't want it staying at the back of the tank, so I got an idea.

I had ordered an extra Cree RB XR-E(?). I stripped a phone charger (this particular one was 3V and 700mA I believe, just about perfect) and built an assembly to hold the LED out of aluminum. This was then taped to the side of the tank. Within minutes, the RBTA started to respond to the additional light. It's worth noting, the charger was providing almost full power to this LED, and I'm sure that additional light was a significant increase to the light it was getting from the PCs.

Once I noticed it moving, I decided to see if I could move it where I wanted. I moved a rock, threw some epoxy in to help hold it and created a crevice for the RBTA foot. I then moved the RB LED to the front center of the tank and waited. Around an hour later, the RBTA had made continual movements towards the LED and was now front and center in the tank. It was still a bit higher than the ultimate location I wanted it, so I dropped the LED down a couple inches and within 15 minutes, the RBTA moved right into place.

I fed it a piece of scallop and kept the additional light in that same spot for 3 days. Not once did it move over that time (except a bit further into the crevice). I now have my LED lighting on, and the RBTA still hasn't moved. I'm not sure if anyone else has tried this, but it worked very well for me... and the anemone moved completely on its own so stress should be low.

Pics!

The anemone started on the back side of this feature. To the left and behind in the picture.
    [​IMG]
    Here, you can see it reaching towards the light. It did this the entire time around the rocks to the front. It's hard to think the light wasn't the cause for the move when the anemone is attempting to grab it like candy.
    [​IMG]
    You can see just how well aligned the anemone is to the light. I hadn't moved it for almost an hour, the anemone aligned itself to the LED.
    [​IMG]
    The crevice I wanted it to get into.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, my fire shrimp seems more interested in the RBTA hosting it than the clownfish are :( ... or perhaps it just was jealous and wanted attention. (I'm thinking it was hungry and has learned some times, food can be found on the tentacles of the anemone).

[​IMG]
    Still reaching for that light...
    [​IMG]
    And "home"
    [​IMG]

It hasn't moved from this spot since. I'm hoping I can convince it to stay. There's moderately low flow, decent crevice for its foot, it's now getting plenty of light from the LEDs and it still gets spot fed. These are the things that it has seemed to "want" since I've owned it. Anyway... I was shocked at how responsive it was to the light.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

I've done this with afew different nems and it has worked in almost all cases except I used a par 30? Frm hd and on deeper tanks. Neat trick glad it worked out for u

4. BlueWaters10

BlueWaters10 Skunk Shrimp

Wow that is awesome. I wouldn't of thought that would of worked.

5. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

I was a bit surprised as well at how fast it worked. It wasn't hardly any time at all until it moved directly where I wanted it to. And now with the stronger lights, it hasn't moved at all yet so hopefully it's done moving.

6. Anemone King

Anemone King Astrea Snail

Very cool :) They will go to the light as I have always told people when talking about lighting :)

7. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

Nifty little trick. I might have to give it a shot if I ever need mine moved.

8. Click Here!

9. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

Nice use of the FORCE. lol