how to keep pistol shrimp out of overflow box

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by mikekx65, Apr 19, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Well I have a eshopps 800 overflow and my pistol shrimp has decided he's trying to escape and has mad it into the external part of the overflow twice in 2 days. Not sure why he would be doing this or maybe even how I can stop it from happening again any suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

that is strange since they usually stay low building under rock ?? have any material you could use to serve as a barrier?

4. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Not sure what I could use any ideas? It's getting to be a pain. He's done it twice both nights in the new tank and once in the old tank awhile back. I end up having to flush him down to my filter sock and then have to shake him out of there and back into the tank. Not sure why he keeps doing it but it's annoying because he gets stuck in the box and starts clicking woke me up this morning

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

that is kind of comical about waking you up. some sort of screen? or a piece of acrylic?

6. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Where exactly would I put it? Even if I covered the top of the box with acrylic he could still fit through the slots cut in the box. I think I'd have to use some sort of screen but not sure how I'd attach it to the box??

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I wish mine would go in the overflow box lol.. I need to catch him to do a red bug treatment. I've only seen him two times in about 4 months.

You could use silicone to attach it to the box. And this is a good screen:
    Clear Netting - Bulk Reef Supply

8. Click Here!

9. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

I know the first time he escaped about 2 weeks ago I was like perfect now I don't have to try and find him and catch him when I move my tank so that was a big help but now he won't stay out of the over flow. Idk if he's like some sort of adrenaline junkie and enjoys the ride through the u tube or what lol. I'm pretty sure he would be able to fit through the 1/4" screen like that he's a tiny little guy.

10. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

I think you're the first one to have a pistol shrimp trying to climb out lol. I see mine about once a month if that. I know he's alive by his clicking only when a fish goes to bother him.

11. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

+1 for Av8Bluewater's idea, exactly what i was thinking.

12. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

That screen being 1/4" would be too big he would still fithe through that. I'd have to use like window screen but I feel that it would restrict flow.