Hoover...or Roomba - what to name my snail?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by OnefishTwofish, Jan 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

Not sure how well these pics will look - but I will take a chance and post them.

My emerald crab, Mr. Pinchy sometimes gets a tad bossy with many of my smaller snails. He hasnt killed anything but he is often seen shoving them out of his way if he is on an algae eating mission. He gets "crabby" with the fish sometimes too.

I decided to level the playing field a bit...I found this enormous snail at a LFS this afternoon and couldnt resist bringing it home. The shell is about 1.5" in diameter and houses a great big mottled brown / striped snail with antennas. Its actually rather pretty (the snail part).

Pinchy had NO idea what to do when he came across the new snail. Even Mrgl the goby looked out of his cave to see the new arrival. Pinchy tried to crawl onto it but the snail sorta shrugged Pinchy off. Talk about payback.

I am torn between naming this guy Hoover or Roomba because the moment i set him on a rock in the tank, he has systematically vaccuumed 3 fuzzy rocks totally clean and he doesnt appear to be slowing down.

My lights arrive sometime this week and i will finally be able to get better photos - so sorry about those, hope these show how big this snail truly is.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

That's a pretty big snail! I like the name Roomba. Sounds feisty lol.

4. reef goddess

reef goddess 3reef Sponsor

Well I have a roomba and it does a great job, so Roomba!! ;p

5. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

how about Dyson? ;)

6. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Man, I have had 3 roomba's and one scooba.

They are awesome for like 3 months and then become flaky with short battery lifes. I ended up selling/throwing them away and have given up on these robots for now.

Hoover, however, has never let me down. I'd go with Hoover.

(btw - I have spare roomba/scooba parts/accessories I'm willing to sell/trade)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. OnefishTwofish

at first i thought you meant you had snails that got flaky in about 3 months...duh.

apparently i either to drink more coffee.

;D

10. OnefishTwofish

Just a quick update: the snail has been christened Roomba.

However, for you Hoover fans out there - I made a visit to my fave LFS earlier this week to drool over the tanks there, was watching what i thought was another sizeable snail until it literally looked up and "waved its trunk" at me. I was sold and wound up bringing the coolest little conch home - he is about the same size as Roomba is and we named him Hoover.

Gotta admit - i love watching the conch now as much as watching the fish and the rest of my peaceable little gang. He totally fascinates me with those eyestems and his "trunk". On one hand it is constantly vexing to see algae on rocks etc - but to be able to watch Hoover and Roomba happily vaccuuming everything clean now, it is almost "worth it" to have stuff around for them to eat (although in controlled quantities for sure!).

Now to get me a Dyson! Look out LFS - here i come. ;D