hey guys long time no see, quick question.

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by elweshomayor, Oct 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Hey guys, lately I have been having a real problem with aipstasia. It is literally everywhere and I just dont see a way out.
    I have tried almost everything without success, and nuking or buying new rock is out of the question because i simply have no money for it.
    I bought 2 peppermint a long time ago, but they dont seem to be doing anything. I also got the Nudibranches, but they seem to have died because I have no idea what happened to them.
    I also bought the aipstasia eating fish and he hasnt even touched them.
    I am at a loss here.. I cant go home every week, treat for some aipstasia and come back next week and see them double each time.

I was wondering if i just went ahead and bought more peppermint shrimp, maybe that would do the job? say, 7-9? I need something that i can buy and not have to literally look after everyday.. ( i simply dont have the time right now, but im trying)..
    any ideas? I probably have thousands of aipstasia...:-/

2. Click Here!

3. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

I've always used peppermints with great success.The key I have found is to cut down on feeding the tank so they have almost no choice but to eat the apt.If they get used to you feeding all the time they stop hunting.

4. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

what if you have fish like chromis? I have 8 of them, so i find it kind of hard to cut down on feedings without jeopardizing their health since they have such a fast metabolism.

Also, i tried the nudibranches, but they didnt make it.. Do you think the 2 peppermints ate the nudis? unless they died from stress after the move?
    how many would you recommend on a 150G tank infested with aipstasia?

5. Flyershockey11

Flyershockey11 Plankton

This would probably be tedious for an infestation as large as yours, but I've had great success with the majanowand. It's a wand that actually uses electrolysis to destroy the aiptasia and it's spores, the aip literally melts into a white blob when touched with the wand, just suction out with a turkey baster after it melts into goo.

This solution may not be practical for you, but I used it to kill all of the aiptasia that were in my 120 and they have not returned. It's precise enough to kill the anemone and not harm any corals, one aip was anchored inside my colony of zoas, and I killed it successfully without damaging a single zoa.

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Peppermints are natural Berghia predators. Where did you get your nudi's from?

8. Click Here!

9. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

i am willing to do it one by one if i have to but where can i get this? I tried Apstasia X but the aipstasia only "rolled" into a ball for a day or 2, only to comeback again over and over.

10. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

a friend of mine sent some of his after they did the job at his tank.. I was unable to retrieve the shrimp before they ate the nudis. I was hoping they didnt ate them but i suppose they did..

11. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

I thought Cbb's were not reef safe?

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

i think they are not reef safe for items like lps and clams