Hermit crab hitchhiker or baby?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by kcbrad, Oct 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Today while I was adding my new power head to the tank I found a hermit crab halfway in/out of a shell and dead. Sad! :cry: I didn't recognize the shell, so I thought maybe the hermit was trying to get into a new shell and couldn't fit or something and then died. I looked around to figure out which crab it was, and all three of my hermit crabs were alive and kickin'. So, that weirded me out! It was some hermit I had never seen before.

I read online that hermit crabs don't breed in captivity, but could this have been a baby? Or are red hermit crabs common live rock hitch hikers? Seems like I would have noticed him before...

Just curious...it was weird!

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

It's possible he came in with a rock or a coral. I found a stone crab in my old 65g and he was nasty and ate my baby regal tang.:(:cry:

4. Elliot09

Elliot09 Bristle Worm

You sure it wasn't just a molt? I've made that mistake before, thinking a crab had died, only to see him walking around a few hours later!

5. Reefjack

Reefjack Astrea Snail

+ 1 on that. I've confused a shed exoskeleton for a dead crab many times. Chances are if you have what looks like a dead crab, but there are none missing, that is what happened.

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Really? What I found consisted of a body and four legs, but the legs were smaller than my current hermit crabs and paler in color. They were also stuck in a shell that none of my hermit crabs were wearing at the time. Does that sound like an exoskeleton? I didn't read about them shedding, so that could definitely be it! I'll look it up online. The main thing I wanted in my tank were hermit crabs, but now after having them, sometimes they really kinda gross me out! :)