Help me Identify this Crab

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by TinFury, Apr 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

Can anyone help me identify this crab? He came in with the sand I got off the reef. FOR ALL THE NOSY PEOPLE, YES GETTING THE SAND OFF THE REEF IS LEGAL WHERE I'M FROM. Well this crab came in on the sand. He's really cool, when he walks he walks with a left hand karate chop then right hand karate chop kinda thing. The first time I saw it I was rolling. Anyone know what this crab is? I'd love to keep him.

The two massive paltes in front of him are claws. His legs are tiny and all planted in the center like a sea cocroach. His shell comes way down his back like a skirt too. His whole structure is like an impenitrable armor. lol. :) Lemme know if anyone knows what he is.

IMG_2929 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2931 (Small).jpg

2. Click Here!

3. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

I think hes deadly, you must ship to me :) Unfortunately I do not know any common hitchikers etc...

However, I will steal your thread and ask if anybody has a page with common hitchiker bi-valves...clams/oysters/etc...I've got one that i cant find anymore to take a pic of :(

4. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

Ok maybe not an exact match. But anyone know a crab close to this?

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

That's gonna be a hard one Tin. If it's not a common hitch hiker and not a normal species that is sold in the hobby you would be better to find an answer locally.

Nice find though.

6. hitman35

hitman35 Purple Spiny Lobster

have you checked google images and typed in reef crabs

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

That thing looks pretty serious

8. Click Here!

9. oliesminis

oliesminis Bristle Worm

good find

1 suggestion is if you have a small tank quarantine him in there for the time being to

*check fo diseases
    *if you have a tough fish put it in with him and see if he is agresive
    *try and find out if he will harm your tank/fish/rock

as i say it is a nice find and i hope hes fine but from experience better safe than sorry.

wishing all the best of your fish

10. oliesminis

oliesminis Bristle Worm

where about do you live so i can narrow down search

11. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

I live in Jamaica. I got him off the south coast by Kingston. I've tried to find him via google but can't find anything even close. I wonder what he eats because he has such strange claws... The pincers are pointing downward like into the sand. They look like they would function like can openers.

The pictures make him took allot bigger than he is but he's only about 1inch long. I'm not afraid of aggressiveness when it comes to most crabs. They are usually very easy to catch if they give problems. They think they can hide by digging into the sand, :). But I is very intelligent creature.. (lol joke intended) I have a video of this bugger going a one chop I'll post it in a sec once I can crop and compress it. If I can catch him doing multiple chops I'll post it. It is the FUNNYEST behaviour.

12. oliesminis

oliesminis Bristle Worm

lol sounds great just be carefull with him