First 10 scarlet-leg hermit crabs!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by MarkSReef1382, Dec 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MarkSReef1382

MarkSReef1382 Astrea Snail

Just picked up my first 10 scarlet-leg hermit crabs for my 125 gallon. I will be adding probably 10 more in the near future, but wanted to start out with these. They seem very active and instantly started chomping/clawing away at the algae! They are really neat to watch as well.

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

IMO you will be fine with 10. Just make sure you have some bigger shells in there for them especially if you have snails.

4. MarkSReef1382

MarkSReef1382 Astrea Snail

I've seen these being sold online somewhere. How soon should I be looking into getting some?

5. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

The sooner the better. If you have snails hermits will look at them and say "hey that's pretty shell you have there, let me have it"! I love hermits but you have to make sure they have plenty of shells. I've got a couple guys that seem to change out every other day or so. You can toss the shell behind you rock work so you don't have to look at empty shells on the sandbed, at least that's what I do.

6. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

You could probably get some from a arts and craft store, but Reefcleaners.org would be you best bet.

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

+1. I am probably going to order some as well in the next few weeks. I've had one hermit change shells 3 times in one month.