Feeding an Anenome

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Gooser, Oct 6, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gooser

Gooser Plankton

Just purchased my first Anenome over the weekend w/maroon clown... I was told that the clown would feed the anenome and I would not need any supplements, but I haven't seen it happen and was wondering what good supplemental food and/or technique should be used in feeding anenomes?

2. Click Here!

3. Blueboy

Blueboy Plankton

I actually just give my anemone a small krill once a week. I hold it near the tentacles and let it bring it in.

4. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I have to anemones one long tenticle and one bubble tip it seems I have to feed to BTA more than the LTA.I feed them mysis shrimp,salt water carnivore mix frozen food,krill,and sometimes they really like just flake food I use formula one prime reef. Here's some questions I have. Can you feed an anemone too much or will it just get bigger? I swear the BTA always seems hungrey but the LTA will sometimes release food from it's tenticles as if it were full?
    THANKS

5. Gooser

Gooser Plankton

How often do you feed them? daily, weekly?

6. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I have been feeding them daily they always seem to want to eat I'm not sure if this is good though? Here is a pic of the BTA

Attached Files:

7. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

How come nobodys got any comments on this thread?
    Well I have been feeding the BTA almost every day every once in a while I won't feed for a day but never more than a day. He looks good! He moved around the rock and now comes up through instead of out the side but wow he is big now. check it out! The LTA is also very heathlty he eats much less than the BTA maybe every other day smaller portions too.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Sorry I missed this thread.

The BTA will need you to feed it a whole krill twice a week until you see the clown start to feed it mysis or other foods in the water column and then you may need to feed it only once per week.

I target feed by just placing the food in the center of the animal near its mouth and then as the tentacles close I remove my fingers. Not allowing the anenome to close around the food completely may allow the food to be stolen by shrimp or other fish.

10. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Is it possible to over feed craig?

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

David,

Yes, it is possible to overfeed but the anenome will usually just release the food from its tentacles if it is not hungry.  You will learn what its feeding requirements are as time goes by and depending on its metabolism in growth and reproductive states may need more or less food.

12. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks craig!