Feather duster way out!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by xxredxpandaxx, Jul 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xxredxpandaxx

xxredxpandaxx Coral Banded Shrimp

So I went and loomed at my tank and saw that my feather duster was way out. I have never seen this and don't know what it means if it even means anything.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It usually not good for the worm to leave the tube. Have you changed flow or lighting lately?

Please list your parameters.

4. xxredxpandaxx

I have not changed my lights or flow and I'm not sure on my params right now I will check soon though and list them.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It hasn't dropped the feathers so that could be a good sign.

6. xxredxpandaxx

Thanks for the info and hopefully he is just checking out the area =P also I dose my tank with phyto and I was just wondering if I need to. That is the only feather duster I have other than all the little ones that come on rock. And it's not heavily stocked with corals they are all pretty small And still growing in

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If you need to clean the glass of dusty growth twice a week you should be fine without phyto.

8. Click Here!

9. xxredxpandaxx

Ya I usually need to clean it every other day. So I might stop the phyto or just cut it down a little. Thanks

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

On rare occasion, a featherduster that is unhappy with its placement (too much current, etc) will leave its tube to find a better place to build a new one. But as 2in10 pointed out, it's a good sign that it didn't drop its crown, although I have had that happen twice and they survived and grew a new one.

11. xxredxpandaxx

That is good to know. But it's been there for about 4 months now and it seems like it is happy. But maybe it's because I always have to pass it with the mag float maybe it doesn't like that idk I will just wait and see what happens.

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I have had them drop their crowns and regrow but not survive leaving. Of course the one time I had one bail it fell onto another coral and became food.