Emerald Crabs and hermit crabs

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by meagan1823, May 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. meagan1823

meagan1823 Purple Spiny Lobster

I was interested in getting a emerald crab for my reef tank. I plan to have corals and fish as well. Are emerald crabs reef safe? What does their diet mostly consist of? Right now I don't have any livestock just LR, LS and equipment.

Also, I was thinking about getting the small blue hermit crabs. They are very small not sure their exact name but will hermit crabs and emerald crabs get along? or will they kill each other?

Also, how do emerald crabs and hermit crabs treat snails? I was going to get some snails in the future but will the crabs kill them?
    Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

Emerald crabs and hermit crabs are generally considered reef safe. Emerald crabs will generally eat leftover food, algae and things of that sort. You can supplement their diet with seaweed/nori sheets which helps keep a happy crab from turning to fishes and corals for a meal. If you do not have a ample supply of empty shells the hermit crabs will start to kill off your snails in search of new homes.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

HI meagan

Hermit crabs as they grow, may try and evict snails from their shells if the snails shell is larger than their own or seems larger than their own - so have a few empty shells for your hermits to swap into and IME everything goes OK

Emerald crabs are opportunist scavengers and eat various algaes so they are good to have and dont take snail shells

many people have a mix of all the species you mention here and yes there are a few house thefts but in general it works out OK

Steve

5. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I have both - so far, so good! I was a little worried about my zoas and palys when I got the emerald crabs (I have 2). I've seen them pick all around the polyps without damaging the polyps themselves. They're entertaining to watch too - especially when one of the fish swims close by and they stick their claw in the air - like back off, fish!

If you get the hermit crabs, make sure you have extra shells - they will steal from the snails otherwise. I've seen my hermit crabs wearing nassarius shells before - it's kind of creepy. Some places have extra empty shells you can buy. I have tons of shells from beach collecting over the years and just periodically toss in a handful. The next morning, I'll have all kinds of hermit crabs wearing new shells! It's pretty cool to see - you can always tell because they go from shells covered in coraline to bright white shells!

6. meagan1823

meagan1823 Purple Spiny Lobster

ok thanks.
    I think im going to pick up an emerald crab and some hermits and some extra shells.

7. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Not to hijack this thread, but is it ok to use shells from a home improvement store such as home depot? I did not buy any from my LFS, and a store is nearby to my house that sells bags of shells. Do they put harmful additives in those?

8. Click Here!

9. rogerstammy

rogerstammy Peppermint Shrimp

Are they saying back off? or are they giving the fish the finger/claw???::)

10. Lady_Bobo

Lady_Bobo Fire Worm

I bought a bag of shells at the dollar store and boiled the crap out of them before I added them... I added to the saltwater tank and for my sons hermit crabs...
    I don't like the thought of adding the shell that have any varnish of stuff on it...

11. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

+1

I've been noticing my large snail and larger hermit crab population dropping recently too. Hermits are reef safe and are scavengers, but they will turn to other crabs or snails when they get hungry and want some fresh meat.

Had I known what I know now, I'd only have 2 hermits and 1 emerald... and alot of snails. Would have kept the murders down and real estate theft down.

I see "pinch" (wife named him that due to the flat spots on his claws) throwing his arms up and charge animals that come to him too quickly and scare him. Its quite funny and what he/she eats makes him a great addition to the tank.

-Gavin

12. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Good question! :lol: Maybe it's "come near me and I take a chunk out of you!"