Emerald Crab Eating Bristle Worm?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Steve34, Aug 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

has anyone else came across this?

I just saw my emerald reach into a crevice and pull out and subsequently beat into pieces a bristle worm then proceed to eat it (at least the parts he didn't drop).

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Can't say I've seen that, but I did introduce a new emerald into my tank, once... He went straight for my hawaiian featherduster and forced it out of its tube before I could get my hands on the net. Bottom line, any crustacean has the potential to become an opportunistic predator when it gets hungry.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Crabs are scavengers. If they're hungry, they'll eat anything that they can.

5. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

As much as I don't mind the bristle worms, I guess I don't necessarily miss that one though it was a big one and always in the same place relatively speaking. I kind of like having them in my CUC

Nothing innocent about a crab, I've just never seen them do anything with a bristle worm. I've watched these worms, many that come out somewhere around the 2 inch + mark so not huge hang around under a hermit crab and try to steal what it's eating.

Guess the emerald wasn't going to take any of their s**t

6. skyline377

skyline377 Astrea Snail

I have 3 emerald didn't know they could that!!!