Do you feed your snails?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Kas, Nov 26, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kas

Kas Bristle Worm

I purchased 7 snails.....one for my 24G and 6 for my 75G. I think they're Turbo snails. They're about the size of a quarter and have a giraff pattern on their shells. Quite pretty. They stay under the sand except when food is added to the tank. Guy at the FS told me I must feed these snails as they won't eat fish waste. When I feed the fish (frozen and flake), the snails emerge from the sand and crawl up the glass...missing any chance to get some food that has settled. How in the world am I supposed to feed them...and what would they like to eat? Many thanks.........Kas

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Sounds like you have some Nassarius vibex snails there .. They are good at turning the sand and eating detritus , Thel Nassarius vibex snails will take care of excess food also.. You put some food in there and up they will roll :) Agreat addition to your system

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Here is a COMPLETE article on snails and no you don't need to feed them...They eat most the left over junk and algae that is in your tank. And I think the snails you have are Cerith. The come up like little submarines, Turbo's do not bury they stay on the rock and the glass, mostly.;D

Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.....

The Clean Up Crew

Are they Tang?? Hmmm

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  5. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

those do sound like nassarius.

6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Yep looked them up, Tangster was correct as usual LOL my bad but still it's a good article to identify snails from

7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I don't feed mine and they've been around for a while...

8. Click Here!

9. Kas

Kas Bristle Worm

Thanks all for your replies. I know I was putting more food into my tanks as needed trying to feed the snails. Good to know they'll eat waste. Have a great day! Kas

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'd not feed the tank for a couple of days toallow them to clean up.. You may be seeing a cyano or algae out break. Watch out for NO3's and Phosphates.. Never over feed a tank. Thats the largest problem I have always seen people just feel the animals are starving all the time .. And that feeding will lead to many water quality issues .. Killing them with Love :)

11. Kas

Kas Bristle Worm

Yes Tangster....I have had problems with algae. Battling red/brown growth on the sand in the 24G nano right now. Doing water changes, added Chemi-Clean and a Phos remover. Thinking about getting that Sapphire nano skimmer for the 24G. Otty is coming to Ohio tomorrow to check out the robots at Honda. My husband asked him if he'd stop by to check out my tanks...can't wait to pick his brain. Want to ask his opinion of the Sapphire skimmer. Thanks for your suggestions Tangster! Kas

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes old Otty is a hell of a nice guy. He came here for a visit last summer only problem was he couldn't stay longer. He can sort you out for sure.. But a skimmer would be a great addition also more internal water circulation.