Do I have a brittle star?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by cj5_dude, Nov 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cj5_dude

cj5_dude Flamingo Tongue

So I was looking at my tank this morning right after the lights came on and I saw what I first thought were the feelers of a snail sticking through a rock. When I realized that was impossible I looked closer and I saw 3 "feelers" sticking out and the dang thing was moving. My first concern was it was some type of worms but now I'm wondering if it's a star.

The legs, if that's what they are, are striped black/white/black/white/etc.

My understanding is that if that's what it is then it's reef safe and I don't need to worry. But I'm still concerned it could be some type of worms since I haven't seen the whole thing yet.

2. Click Here!

3. rgoedhart

rgoedhart Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Probably a star, based on your description. Pictures would be great!

Either way, whether they're worms or a star, I wouldn't worry too much... Both are nearly inevitable when running a reef tank, neither are necessarily bad.

There are bad worms, but I do believe the vast majority of worms (brittle worms) are reef-safe and actually help clean your tank..

I wouldn't worry until you see a 6ft worm or visible damage to corals/fish

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I am pretty sure its a Micro Brittle Star.They are great members of the CUC.Pictures will help positively I.D. it.;)

5. cj5_dude

cj5_dude Flamingo Tongue

I wish I could take a picture but I can't get my camera to focus on anything past the glass when I try and zoom in. Plus it's hiding again and even when it wasn't I'm not sure it would be visible in the picture, it blends in. I only saw it because of the movement.

6. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Scroll down the the mini brittle star in this link.

Pics of Hitchhikers

Oddly enough, it doesn't have a name. I'll have to fix that O.O

7. cj5_dude

cj5_dude Flamingo Tongue

That's exactly what the legs I saw looked like. It's hiding from me now and I have no idea where it went. It only took me 2 months to see it for the first time so who know's when I'll see it again. I also just found a stomatella for the first time the other day. Constantly wondering where all these things are hiding.

8. Click Here!

9. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

more than likely its a mini brittle star. very rarely seen all the way out of the rock, but when you feed you may see the legs stick out of the rock trying to catch food. Usually when there is one, there are more. very good part of the cuc. congrats!