Crafty Peppermint Shrimp needs catching

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Moxtrain, Nov 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Well I need some suggestions as i'm out of ideas. I have a Peppermint Shrimp in my DT that needs banishing to the sump. Problem is this guy won't go into my inverted funnel trap. I've baited and placed this thing over the last 5 nights. Mysis, Marine Cuisine, and Hikari Formula 1 pellets have all failed on me now. I tried different locations for the trap in the tank as well. I've also started keeping my net close to hand just in case I get another chance to swoop him up. So far i've only had one chance and it didn't go as well as I'd hoped. So at this point i'm in need of some novel ideas to catch this little bugger. Thanks guys.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Try to corner him and squirt him with a turkey baster full of RO/DI freshwater. That will shock him long enough to net him out.

4. Moxtrain

I'll give it a shot tonight when I get in. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks.

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

You could just borrow my royal gramma, he would always parade around with the peppermint shrimp in his mouth. lol, but +1 to Mr. Bill's idea, just make sure its not near any coral.

6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I had good luck luring them out with nori on a clip placed near the sandbed in an open area after light out so the fish won't interfere.When they become frightened they always dart backward and upward.

7. Moxtrain

Forgot to update. Finally got the little bugger. The RODI slowed him down just enough for me to corner him in a hole in the rock. I covered the hole with the net and he had no escape but to eventually get netted out. Thanks for the assist guys.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Yea!! Good call on the advice Mr. Bill!!

10. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

why did you want him out?

11. Moxtrain

Overstayed his welcome. Originally he was introduced to work over some aiptasia. Turns out he'd prefer stealing food from my corals than eat aiptasia. His new home is in the sump now.

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Bully....;D:cheesy: I have found the easiest way to avoid that is to use a feeding stick and feed the shrimp a fairly large piece of food first then feed the corals.;)