Coral banded shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by erik, Oct 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. erik

erik Spaghetti Worm

i really like these, but i seem to remember hearing that they arent reef safe? will they pick on my fish, corals, or cleaner shrimp?

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

IMO you have about a 10% chance that you wont have problems with it and you other shrimp/ crab livestock. as far as corals go it is a hit or miss, and with fish as long as there much larger you should not have a problem.

IME they tend to be a more agressive shrimp and mine hid quite a bit and rerly was out in the open.

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

They are reef safe, but do have some caveats.

They might go after your smaller fish, if they get hungry.
    Like any shrimp, they might steal food from your corals.
    They don't play well with other shrimp. If you add one alongside a cleaner you'll probably have one victor and one victim.

That being said, I've kept one without any serious issue for over a year and a half. I don't have any other shrimp.

5. erik

erik Spaghetti Worm

i have two clowns and a mandarin, the mandarins pretty small, would a cbs pick on them?

6. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

he could but it is a 50/50 IMO but how big is the tank?

7. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

I have one and it's going back. It's not overly aggressive but he is a real jerk and I have seen him jump at my fish from time to time. You'd be better off with something else, IMO.

8. Click Here!

9. erik

erik Spaghetti Worm

its a 28g jbj nano. I have no problem getting rid of my cleaner if i must, id rather have a coral banded shrimp. If he is a bit of a jerk i can take him back. Mostly, as long as it doesnt kill anything im fine with it.

10. cobracop

cobracop Astrea Snail

i had one kill a cleaner shrimp. i like'em too, got to see one in the wild snorkling off maui.

11. papareef

papareef Feather Duster

I had a big one along with a good sized cleaner,zero problems.Never came out when the lights were on,only at nite.Never bothered anything,including corals.

12. erik

erik Spaghetti Worm

thanks for all the replies! my cleaner is decent sized, ill just try to find a small cbs.