Choc-chip Starfish

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by JetEngineMech, Mar 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JetEngineMech

JetEngineMech Feather Duster

I just recently got my 55-gal tank setup with only 6 damsels and a choc-chip starfish. I'm currently feeding them with frozen brine shrimp every other day. The first time I put the shrimp in, they were still in a mass on the bottom so I set the starfish on top of it. It stayed there for almost a day but ate the whole thing! What else can I feed him? Also, from reading another post I see that iodine is needed? I've had him about two-weeks and so far-so good. Another thing, I was originally feeding the fish granule food and the ones that settled on the bottom (live sand) left brown spots. Several days later, these few spots almost covered the bottom and some sort of algae (I presume) was on the sides. I cleaned off the sides and the stuff on the bottom has faded considerably. Would the starfish had eaten that, too? It seems to spend most of it's time upside down on the lid or at the top of the tank walls at the water line.
    Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well if you want to keep just Damsels then you are good to go except for the loading up the bio system so fast with such a large load. Also the star will do just fine But its a bottom feeder eating on what falls to the bottom and sand fauna . Also you will soon be facing major water quality issues soon from alga's and disease of animals caused by the stress of the bad water. The meat you are way way way over feeding will feed Phosphates and nitrates out of sight. Also if you plan to keep any corals the star will have to go.. Brine shrimp offer not nutritional value at all junk food is all it is. Best get them one a Flake only diet asap.

4. JetEngineMech

Wow, I thought I may be under-feeding them. So far when I test my water it always comes up good (Ph, Alk, Nitrite). The feeding I've been doing was at a LFS recommendation. Will the flake feed the star?

5. eellover

eellover Plankton

I personaly wouldnt worry about the star it will find food on its own. they're kinda like a garbage disposal.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

First off a LFS is not your friend .. unlike $$$$ thats what they are in business for and many assume they know what they are talking about . Some do most don't. They are there for the sale.
    You are facing many issues down the road already at this point IMO. With what you have several pinches a week is all that is needed of a balanced flake food.
    What type water did you use to set this tank up Tap or filtered , How long has the tank been set up and running , what are the test you have been doing to assure water quality .

After a full cycle nitrites are of little concern really . And PH testing is a waste of time and money.
    Alkalinity Controls PH and PH had nothing to do with controlling anything.

1.So I'd be testing for Alkalinity
    2 .Nitrates
    3.Phosphates
    4. Calcium

All of these will help to avoid algae issues later on..

I guess it really depends on what the end results you want to achieve with this tank is to what needs to be worried about testing. And fish and animal types

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I don't like using flake food or pellet food as much as frozen! After a short period of time in the water, the vitamins and flavor are quickly leeched out of the food and the fish won't be as attracted to it! Then if it doesn't get eaten, you end up with a high nitrate and phosphate problem-then algae!
    Frozen foods like Mysis shrimp, clam, formula 1-2, and special reef formula' are very good. Like Tangster said, brine shrimp is a very low protein and high moisture food with little to no nutritional value!
    The key is to add a variety of food!!!!!! Vegetable and protein rich foods offered at various times during the course of the week is best, and acouple times a day is enough unless you plan on raising Anthias'.
    Your Chocolate Chip Sea Star will do fine with a piece of krill, silverside, clam or squid broken off and placed near it at the bottom of your tank IMO!
    If you decide to go with other inverts and corals...then your Star will have to go!! They are not reef safe and will wreck havoc in your reef tank!
    Their are other alternatives for replacing your Chocolate Chip Star...Brittle and Serpent's, Linkia's and Fromia's, though Linkia Stars are more difficult to keep.
    Best of luck from your neighbor in Connecticut!

One thing I have to disagree with in Tangsters last post is that I would test pH all along even after the tank has cycled!!!! Certain things will effect your pH level. Temperature/dissolved CO@ and more than not a pH reduction is caused by excess nitrates!!!
    So, I would test for anything that you add to your water first and foremost, then I would test religiously for alkalinity, calcium and pH!

8. Click Here!

9. JetEngineMech

The tank has been running for almost two months now. I've been using the 5 in 1 test strips along with the Ph-Alk-Nitrite liquid-tests. So far everything is doing well. I've also been doing weekly water changes. All water has been from my RO unit. I'll have to get that Calcium test kit and see how that is though. I really appreciate all the info, you'd think the LFSs would be of better help. :loco:

And hello coral reefer!

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I hear ya, however, unfortunately their is a big demand for knowledgeable reefers employed at local pet shops and they can't seem to get competent reefers to work there!
    Yeah, you will want to get a calcium test kit, not so much for now as when you start getting involved with corals and inverts(crabs, shrimp and Clams). Calcium carbonate for their shells and skeleton are important and require calcium, iodine and strontium especially!
    Also when you dose calcium you have to test it to be sure your not over doing it or your alkalinity and magnesium levels will become depleted! You also run the risk of having calcium precipitate due to oversaturation on your substrate and powerheads etc. causing them to possibly seize up and harden your substrate.
    You can never over test and it is better to do it more than not enough...if anything for piece of mind!

11. JetEngineMech

Just out of curiosity...can I put in pieces of fresh fish to feed it? Like next time I'm going to have tilapia or catfish can I cut off a small piece and feed it to the inhabitants of my tank? :confused:

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

For your Sea Star...yes that would be ok(uncooked)! However, I would go with some of the nice frozen foods available at your local pet shop!