Care & Feeding Of A Sebae Anenome

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by ReefSparky, Jul 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I purchased mine about a week ago and my percula took an instant love to it. No sooner do the halides go off then he is off to make love to the anenome. They're worse than Sonny and Cher.

Here's the problem. When I bought it, the LFS owner, (who's had his store more than 15 years and really knows his business) recommended I feed it krill or silversides if it didn't take the former. I bought both. I tried a half chunk of the krill first, and the anenome "latched on" but let go a few min's later. The next day I defrosted a single silverside in RO/DI water, cut it to decrease its length by half, and was able to slide it into the mouth of the anenome. It was in deep enough that the clown didn't know it was there, and the anenome looked happy. Thirty min's later I saw the silverside on the sand.

The next day I took the other half of silverside and just placed it near, but not in the anenome's mouth, but the clown took it away before a minute went by. The next day I fed the fish first to distract the clown, and stuck a chunk of krill on the anenome, and the same thing happened--it lost interest a few min's later.

The LFS owner said it's important to get it to eat before it shrivels up and doesn't take food. I told him I thought they were somewhat photosynthetic, but he stated that the mostly white sebae I bought with purple tips are dependent on meaty foods and they must eat, lest they die.

Has anyone got any hints or tips for me to get this guy to eat? :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I feed my Haitian raw table shrimp. I used to feed my rock/flower shrimp too. They love it and I treat my engineer goby and coral banded shrimp a little chunk while I'm feeding the anemone... is yours getting good light? also, is the mouth open or closed? It might still be adjusting and not be hungry yet?????????

4. ReefSparky

It's situated on the bottom of the tank directly under a 150W halide, but it's mostly shaded by the rock formation above it. The mouth was open once, but for the most part is closed.

It looks great, just doesn't seem to be eating.

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The Sebae anemone will do fine on just the lighting for nutritional needs provided by its host zooxanthellae. Also anemones feed on nitrates and other dissolved organics. The need to target feed the anemone is not necessary!!! I have a Pacific Long Tentacle anemone and I feed it krill once a month or so and it is thriving!!!!!
    Think about it how often do you think an anemone in the wild is able to capture shrimp or fish to eat?!!! Not very often, that is one of the main reasons they are located in shallow water where the suns light aids the anemones zooxanthellae with the fuel they need to produce nutrients for the anemone!
    Don't sweat the target feeding, if it eats it does if not, it is still receiving nutrients!
    Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. ReefSparky

So I guess the man at the LFS doesn't know his business as well as I gave him credit for. Do you suppose that being on the sand in a standard 90, somewhat in the shade, but directly under a 150 MH would give him sufficient light?

Here are some pic of where he's located. It's in the dead center of the bottom of the right side mound of LR and coral. It's just an hour after the actinics come on, and the halides are yet to click on. He's not yet open fully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I would say it will be fine, especially since it will move if it doesn't suit its needs!

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Sparky I'd never feed it just causes more waster it will catch flakes and food in the water and the anemone will be fed by the clown . If you have enough light its all the anemone needs it will darken up to a deep brown tannish color when its getting healthy from the lights , The color many buy them is just before they head south for good , The ones that are that white pale color with the purple tips is a sign of its not doing so well. Feeding any anemone is just not a good idea they feed themselves just fine in the wild and aquarium.

Thats the reason they move until they find the currents that will bring them the food they need.

10. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

1 person likes this.
  11. ReefSparky

Thanks for that link, cuttingras. Good stuff!;D

12. Terror A. Part

Terror A. Part Astrea Snail

I have a Sebae as well. When I bought it, it was white with purple tips on short tentacles, just as yours is. I later learned that the reason it looked this way is because it was not doing well in the fish store. Over time, it turned a pinkish-brown hue and the tentacles extended. Now the darn thing is huge! My saddleback never feeds it, and I don't target feed...I do, however, dose with Lugol's solution once a week, and feed my entire tank every week with Marc Weiss' reef bugs. And I also have a refugium that I'm pretty sure puts out a constant supply of plankton, so maybe that's why it's doing so well...Don't move it or try to move it. It looks settled; if it isn't happy, it will move itself, so I suggest you just leave it be.