BTA Feeding

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by hank8888, Nov 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hank8888

hank8888 Coral Banded Shrimp

How often should I feed my BTA. My clown has not taken to the BTA so I think i need to hand feed it.

2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

You don't need to feed them as they can get their food from the lights.
    However you could feed them once or twice a week if you really want to. I used to give my anemone a small piece of silver side once a week.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Nems are mostly photosynthetic and have a very rudimentary digestive system; it's all too easy to overfeed which can lead to a fatal internal infection.

IMOPE, if you're feeding fish in the same tank (fresh or frozen meaty foods), they usually catch plenty for themselves. Otherwise, one tiny morsel every week or two will suffice as long as it's staying healthy.

5. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

i feed my anemones once a week. i just hand feed them pieces of whatever seafood (shrimp, scallops, squid, smelt, etc.) i buy from the fresh seafood section at the grocery store.

6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

feeding a nem wont make it host clowns, it took my true percula 6 months before they starting going in mine. i dont feed mine as i feed my fish a blended mix of fish shrimps and clams, inevitably my nems catch some of the food floating around and gobble it up.

you MAY feed nems but i would say not more than once a week and not large pieces as the nem will digest a bit of it and (if its healthy) spit out the rest and that in turn will rot somewhere in your tank if you dont fish it out. worst case scenario is the nem does not spit the excess food out and poisons itself from the decaying matter.

7. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

what i have witnessed with my nems is that if they are full, they will not accept the food.

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

10. hank8888

hank8888 Coral Banded Shrimp

Cool thanks everyone a lot of good info

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 Quite true, indeed. They will, however, eat something that's way too large, then regurgitate what's still left after 2 or 3 days. Had that happen a few times when one caught the shrimp or fish that was trying to steal it's food. :eek:

12. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

i have one thief in the tank (melanarus wrasse) that i wish one would catch.....just kidding. i have to stand there with my hand in the tank until the nems swallow or that little sucker will sneak in and take their food. i admire the fish's cunning but it's annoying to have to stand there ever vigilant. :)