bristle worms vs. dwarf sea hare

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Dustin75, Feb 23, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

So I bought a sea hare to combat my hair garden (aka live rock). The little guy seemed to eat and be happy for about four days then gone not a trace of it anywhere, not that the hair algae is easy to see through. So my question is, can bristle worms take down a sea hare and for that matter how about snails? I have hundreds of bristle worms can't get rid of them, maybe I'll get an arrow crab.

2. Click Here!

3. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

4. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

good link thanks

5. deepcdv

deepcdv Plankton

That may be it.. I HAD two sea hares. About 3 months ago I put one in my 110 gallon bare bottom live rock tank and one in my 60 gallon with a deep sand bed and some pretty good size worms living in it. The hare in the 110 is still alive and well but the one in the other tank "vanished" after about 4 weeks. It would burrow into the sand to "sleep" I assume and re-emerge to feed. Maybe it turned into worm food while taking a nap.

6. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

I now despise bristle worms more than ever!

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I would blame pumps and powerheads first thats is where mine kept disappearing to.

8. Click Here!

9. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

thats what I thought at first, but it did not see it there. :confused:

10. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Fire Worm

Can't speak much about bristle worms (yes, I have them---but hadn't thought much about them)---but you might consider a turbo snail for the hair algea. I had hair algea all over the back of my aquarium and within the week all four turbo snails that I had bought had eaten most of it all. Matter of fact I had to give 3 of the turbos away cause my tank didn't have enough to support 4. These guys really get with it and mow, even the macro that you would want in your tank!!!!!!!!!!!

Anne