Bristle worms

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by dcime, Oct 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dcime

dcime Plankton

I have noticed a few small flesh colored bristle worms. Sometimes they come out at feeding time, 2-3. They are about 1 to 2 inches in length. Is this normal? Do I need to trap then? Coral Banded Shrimp? Or just leave them alone for scavenging and aerating sand...
    Please, any help is appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

My personal preference of them is good. They don't do anything bad in my set up. I did get a few bristles in my thumb this weekend while cleaning my reactor, but that's all. If you've ever held a cactus and got the tiny bristles in your hand, that's what they compare to. More annoying and less ouch.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have one that is probably close to 5 years old now.

He is huge.

As with most creatures available food source dictates population numbers.

Bristle worms do not bother me, I consider them an excellent part of the CUC.

5. hnnhflns

hnnhflns Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Bristle worms are amazing at helping to keep the tank clean. Sure, they are annoying when you get their bristles in your fingers, but pulling them out with tape and washing with hot water make it go away. Keep them. The live rocks in my tank are full of them, and I have never had a problem

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Mine do great work.

7. rglewis

rglewis Flamingo Tongue

I wish i had them in my current setup..... not one bristle worm in 100 pounds of live rock. Go figure.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I wouldn't be so sure, those guys are sneaky. Be careful where you stick your fingers.;)