Best Way to Put Anem in a Reef Tank?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by wasitgreen, Jul 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wasitgreen

wasitgreen Feather Duster

Is there a way to reduce it moving/stinging other corals? I would like to get a BTA, but I will be setting my tank up as a reef, is it possible?

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

It is possible to have a BTA in a reef. I don't personally have one, but seen many people in the hobby do.

Just carefully choose the spot where you want it to be, and lower it there ever so gently and within a few days or weeks the nem will move wherever it REALLY wants to be, no questions asked ;-)

Make sure you put something around your power heads so it doesn't get sucked in once it decides to move.

PS: Your water needs to be extremely stable to keep one happy. So do a lot of research before you get one.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Let the anemone find a spot and see how it does for a month or so, before adding corals. Cover power heads appropriately. Make sure to maintain good water quality consistently. Provide adequate lighting and flow.

If you are going to add one do so before adding your corals. The risk increases as the size of the tank decreases.

5. wasitgreen

wasitgreen Feather Duster

I know they are hard to care for, I'm still a few months from getting one (coraline just starting to show now). Whats the best way to cover power heads, mesh or sponge? Thanks.

6. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I never understood the things with anemones. People say you should wait at least a year to put an anemone in your tank but ideally you'd pit it in before corals to avoid stinging. But you wouldn't want to have an empty tank set up for over a year now would you lol.

I turned off all my power heads and what not set it down gently then waited a few hours and turned on my return pump. Then waited till the next day to turn on my vortech and closed loop the following. Then I lucked out and it didn't move at all and fed the little bugger to keep em happy. Just research habitat and try to meet it the best you can to avoid having try to find a better spot. Bta like to be I a crevice to feel secure. I also wouldn't automatically assume they need to be at the top of the rockwork.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Mesh.

Member Mojoe has a nice DIY, mesh covering thread.

8. Click Here!

9. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

You really wouldn't want to wait but the year really gives the nem the best possibility of doing well in your tank. Nems do not handle changes or instability very well and during that first year while you are stocking your tank your nitrogen cycle bounces as it works to meet the new and changing demands of your bio load. That coupled with the regular changes you find in a new tank can be stressful, it's what makes a nem want to walk to find a new spot and how they often find the things you don't want them to... you know, your corals, power heads and that crevice behind the rocks where you never see them again.

Plenty of people have kept nems in less mature tanks and have had luck - if you are a pretty experienced reefer and know how to maintain all of your levels you would do just fine. I don't think it's worth the risks though.

10. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I can't remember the site I saw it on but it had a list of live stock used to cycle an aquarium and there was a few anemones on the list. Now I'm not saying I would do it or even recommend it but I think they can take more then people think they can. Granted though if they do get a little annoyed with their surrounding they will probably move around and in turn get caught in a power head or sting corals. Tomorrow I will try and google more to find the site that had it.

Edit: found it...it only says condy anemone though. For some reason I thought there was more. http://www.aquariumpros.com/articles/fishcyclesw.shtml
    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011