Banded Coral Shrimp ?'s

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by SpecailEd, Oct 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SpecailEd

SpecailEd Astrea Snail

I have a 55g with a Banded Coral Shrimp, about 1.5 inches . I also have 3 emerald crabs, and a bunch of hermits.

My question is, has anyone or does anyone keep other shrimps in a tank with a banded coral? I want to get a pistol shrimp but im curious as to how the Banded will take to another shrimp...

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Banded shrimp usually don't tolerate other "decorative" shrimp but it wouldn't stand a chance against a pistol IMO. In fact, the coral bandeds might get killed and eaten by it.

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Two different type of crustaceans. Pistol is far more powerful than decorator crabs. I'll never get another CBS, they are too aggressive.

5. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Thats the problem with CBS, they can be very aggressive. I used to have one that would fight with an arrow crab. Mixing shrimp types can be a gamble. I currently have a fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp along with sexy anemonie shrimp in my 75g. The cleaner shrimp keeps its distance from the fire shrimp.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have seen over the yrs a few CBS to actually grab at small fish even larger ones would lose a bit of a fin if they passed by to closely. A CBS would not be my first choice for a community type tank.

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Coral Banded Shrimp, and Pistol shrimp, more so the Pistol isn't good idea for a reef IMO. While we are on the subject, I don't think Arrow Crabs are a safe bet for a reef either.
    Safer alternative would be the Peppermint, Fire and/or Cleaner shrimp IMO!

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I don't trust arrow crabs either. I've seen them take stabs at fish with their proboscus.

10. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

I used to have a CBS but returned it. Too agressive.

@amcarrig: Nice avatar.

11. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

You're telling me, thank God mine died in a power outtage I had a while back. I had trouble taking him out so I'm glad he died because I thought I was never gonna get him out, he was a smart bastard.

He pinched the mantle of my clam in front of me -- watching! What an ass.

12. SpecailEd

SpecailEd Astrea Snail

My CBS i have now, isn't very aggressive towards anything in my tank.. he has his cave, and at night roams all over, but i've watched him alot and havn't ever seen him harrass anything..