ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Skin: Mint
QTYPIE424 is on a distinguished road

gallery
Default Astrea snails and Hermit crabs not compatible?

Since I have introduced my snails and crabs together I have been loosing about a snail a week. The crabs will pick at them until they loose suction and once that occurs its all over for the snails. The crabs will clean em out and I am about ready to get rid of the crabs. Is there any crabs that wont do this to my snails?..I have to do something...I came home last night and my bf said he took out another dead snail while the crab was still trying to feed on it that he flushed it down the toilet...Funny but not funny...Any suggestions?
Thanks Q
QTYPIE424 is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 11-02-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
Giant Squid

Skin: Classic
inwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 
protector 

gallery

Buy empty shells for the crabs to move into. Otherwise they will continue killing your snails. There's no guarantee that they still won't but the damage to your snail population should lessen. There are a lot of people who dislike crabs for this very reason. This is compounded by the fact that a lot of "clean-up crew" kits have way too many crabs in them.
inwall75 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #3
APC
Teardrop Maxima Clam

APC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

I agree with the empty shells comment. I have a few extra in my tank, which gives the crabs something to grow into. I lose about 3-4 snails a year now to the crabs. Not too bad. Also, I have noticed that the Mexican Turbos seem to hold their own much better then the astreas. Plus they seem to be better at self-righting when they turn over. I tend to lose the astreas when the fall off the glass and land on thier backs....If I don't flip them over...they are crab bait for sure. :-)
APC is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-02-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

gallery

I will have to get some empty shells then to see what happens. I also think l will get a couple of those mexican turbo snails as well. Them crabs are really pissin me off. If all else fails I will ditch them and get some different crabs maybe, or are they all like that?
Q
Old 11-02-2006, 11:26 AM   #5
Giant Squid

inwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 
protector 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTYPIE424
If all else fails I will ditch them and get some different crabs maybe, or are they all like that?
Q
Red-legs tend to be slightly less aggressive but they really are all like that. They are opportunistic feeders and if they have the means and opportunity, snailicide is something most of them don't have a problem with. The larger they get, the worse they get. It's never a problem for me. Once they misbehave, into the mantis tank they go.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

gallery

hmmm....ya i was also thinkin of getting something to give them problems too but I want a nice peaceful tank since I have no other tank to punish them in right now. hehe
Old 11-02-2006, 11:36 AM   #7
3reef Moderator

amcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

The question is, does your mantis knowingly instigate any of the trouble that the hermits get into?
amcarrig is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
Giant Squid

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 
protector 

gallery

LOL...It's not really punishment. Any food whether frozen, freeze-dried, flake, etc. all revolve around a sea-creature that was killed. They were just killed by humans instead of an animal.

If I could sing like Elton John, I would be singing, "The Circle of Life" right now.

FWIW, my mantis are rarely fed live food. Some is necessary for their health and while I don't like to do it, I must. Heck, I transport poisonous spiders outside on pieces of paper when Rachel always wants me to squoosh them.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
Giant Squid

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 
protector 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcarrig
The question is, does your mantis knowingly instigate any of the trouble that the hermits get into?

LOL!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 11:48 AM   #10
Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

gallery

Not sure what FWIW stands for but I understand what your saying and agree.
P.S. I run from spiders so go figure...

Click Here!