Asterina stars

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by doTheEvolution, Apr 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. doTheEvolution

doTheEvolution Astrea Snail

Not too long ago I started to see a few of these on my rock. They are multiplying like crazy and now I see them all over the place. So far, I see no reason to consider these a pest. They don't bother my coral and they seem like good cleaners. Anyone have any bad experiences with them? or seen them get completely out of control to where they are becoming a problem? I think a thread like this will really help new reefers, such as myself, feel a little more at ease or at least know how Asterina Stars can affect their reef.

This is what mine look like.....
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

They are no problem, just filter feeders. Be lucky you have them they are cool!!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. camfam

camfam Astrea Snail

I have caught a few eating the base of my toadstool leather. I understand that there are varieties that are harmless, but you can't tell the difference.

1 person likes this.
  5. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

I have them myself they eat algae or whatever they can find if you see them on your coral all the time just take em out but the biggest problem is they multiply like bunnies

6. awa1979

awa1979 Astrea Snail

I haven't had issues with them hurting anything in my tank, they seem to mind their own business.

1 person likes this.
  7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I just had an outbreak so to speak. I used to have a ton of tiny white brittle stars. Everywhere. I saw the Asterina here and there. Now they are everywhere. I don't mind, they are just noticeable. Never seen one eating anything good.

Just tonight I was looking for a bristle worm I recently discovered, and realized I don't have all those brittle stars I used to have. Still have them, the population just seemed o decrease.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Beaun

Beaun Fire Shrimp

They shouldnt be an issue, but keep an eye on them just to be sure.

10. Ishymishy77

Ishymishy77 Peppermint Shrimp

I just found one on the back of my tank this morning. When I told him that we had a baby six legged star he said it couldn't be a star if it had six legs.

1 person likes this.
  11. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I hear the Asterina will eat polyp's.....if ya got em keep an eye on em..If you have a sump put em in there...........I hear they filter feed and are a + on the water....

1 person likes this.
  12. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel