Assumed snail, but is it?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by theonlylion, Nov 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. theonlylion

theonlylion Plankton

Hi, hope someone can help identify whats in the pic. I have had the tank setup for approx 3mths, and everything is fine, I have recently started noticing 'things' which I haven't put in the tank. I assume they came with the live rock or various corals I have added.

I assume the creature in the pic is a snail and is not harmful, but would like to know what type it is, it seems to have a small white smooth shell with a black markings, the 'body' is orange in colour with white flecks, the shell seems to be really small compared to the body size. When a fish went near it it disappeared into a crevice in the rock.

Sorry about picture quality (iphone) I do have a short video of it just before it slipped back into the rock which I could load up.

I hope someone can help with naming him for me.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

4. theonlylion

theonlylion Plankton

Snail Identity

Hi again, thanks Corailline for the prompt response, having looked at the link you suggested I think the discription below fits it perfectly.

Almost slug-like, but possessing an auriform, cap-like shell, individuals of Stomatella seem unlikely to be Trochoideans. However odd their appearance, their internal anatomy puts them squarely in this group. Stomatella individuals may reach lengths of about an inch and a quarter (3 cm), and as their specific name of "varia" implies, they may be almost any color, although gray, black, and mottled colors tend to predominate. They are quite good grazers, and also reproduce well in aquaria lacking hermit crabs and shrimp predators. Their shell shape precludes their retraction into the shell, but evolution has given them a rather neat way to escape many predators. The rear portion of their foot can break off, much like some lizards' tails, when they are threatened by a predator. The detached portion then writhes, and twists and otherwise distracts the predator while the snail, presumably, makes good its escape. Additionally, they also tend to be nocturnal and avoid a lot of visually-oriented predators in this way.

5. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

sounds like a stomatella....click into corailline's link and go to snails and scroll down to it

6. theonlylion

theonlylion Plankton

thanks to you too brunoboarder244 you confirmed my thoughts ;)

7. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

not a problem

8. Click Here!

9. theonlylion

theonlylion Plankton

pic of is it a snail or not

for those who may be reading this thread, this is the picture I should have posted in my first mail......
    :-/

Attached Files:

• 175.JPG
      175.JPG
      File size:
      320.8 KB
      Views: