Arrow Head Crab here today gone tommorow

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by avnish76, Feb 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. avnish76

avnish76 Plankton

Dear Members
    I have recently aquired some new critters for my RSM last week Friday
    2 X skunk cleaner shrimps
    1X Dancing Shrimp
    1X coral banded shrimp
    1X Arrow head Crab

They have been there for about a week and seem to be doing fine. I will be doing my scheduled waterchange on Friday. However since Tuesday i cant seem to find the Arrow head crab anywhere in my tank. When he first arrived he used to sit on top of one my leathers at the highest point in the tank. and I could always see its skinny legs spread over the rocks. However there has been no sign of him and today I found a hollowed out remains and with claws and a few leg missing?

Also if you look carefully I think it was loaded with eggs as it looked like it was holding something on its underbelly shell?

Did he have a bad moult as there is no sign of him anywhere?
    Did he get boxed by the boxer shrimp? (coral banded shrimp)
    or did he simply not make it?

[​IMG]
    Dancing and cleaner shrimp
    [​IMG]
    Also i need to know weather its worth me getting another one. I love the bizzare appearance of this crab and got quite attached to it? :(
    Please help

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

For starters, your dancing shrimp is a camel shrimp and I would get him out ASAP as they will eat corals. What size tank is all of this in?

4. avnish76

avnish76 Plankton

"All This" its a Red Sea Max 29gallon (130Litres). The corals I have are leathers. the guy at the LFS advised me the "camel shrimp" wont eat my corals.

5. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Just ask around here, camel shrimps are not a thing to have if you have corals. Sorry to tell you but I think the LFS guy was just trying to make a sale. As far as replacing the arrow crab, I personally wouldn't in a tank that size. I currently have one CBS and one cleaner shrimp and I feel that is more than enough. I once tried adding another shrimp and he got pestered so much due to lack of space I had to take him out. I know they are cool but arrow crabs also get very big for a 29gal IMO. Here, this link says that camel shrimp will nip at soft leather corals and other things: Camel Shrimp

6. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

+1 on the camel shrimp..they're bad news!

As for the Arrow Crab:
    If you found a hollowed out shell..sounds like it just molted. I don't see my coral banded shrimp for a couple days after it molts. You should be able to tell if it's the molt you are seeing or the actual crab. hopefully it's just the molt!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  7. avnish76

avnish76 Plankton

Dude
    Thats cool, but my thread was about the arrow head crab and not about the camel shrimp. So far only you have replied to my post and it doesnt even answer the question. IF the shrimp has go a the coral that cool I will take it as a lesson learnt and will remember that some member i dont even know mentioned it on a forum.

Back to the main point any ideas about the arrow head crab?

8. Click Here!

9. avnish76

avnish76 Plankton

HI dude it appears to be a hollowed out shell. I used to keep tarantualas many years ago and they used to moult. This crab looks like it has done the same thing as the legs are also hollow. like how the spiders used to be. But i have not seen any sign of him. Surely he would have made an appearance by now. Also when they do moult how long does it take for the shell to harden and how long before they can eat something?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  10. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I've gone a couple days without seeing my CBS..They hide pretty well as they're very vulnerable with their soft shell..it can sometimes take a while..It has only been today that you haven't seen him? I'm sure he'll show up.