anemone oddity

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by mabbus, Sep 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mabbus

mabbus Bristle Worm

I bought a purple anemone yesterday and no sooner had it touched the bottom, my clowns were beside themselves with excitement and haven't moved away since. In fact they didn't even feed last night as they didn't want to leave it.

Anyway today I noticed something you guys will probably be able to explain. I noticed that small seciton of the anemone tentacles would deflate like a balloon with no air in it and turn grey. My first thought is it's dying, but then they would all inflate again and regain their colour.

It does this around the body, what does it mean? It seems happy enough, as the clowns swim through it, it raises it's foot as if to hug them and wrap them up. I assume this is a good sign

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

The anemone is probably still acclimating itself to your system. In time it should fill out and start to be normal. By the clowns hosting it that fast didn't give it time to adjust to your system.

4. mabbus

mabbus Bristle Worm

Thanks for the reply, yeah the anemone didn't have time to breath before the clowns moved in. I wasn't too worried because, they deflated then inflated moments later. I was just curious as to what it was doing