ane dead?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by zzzzzzzzpr, Jun 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zzzzzzzzpr

zzzzzzzzpr Purple Spiny Lobster

when i touch my ane it wont close up on me and when i try to feed it it doesnt take the meat. before i take it out and throw it away i just wanta make sure its dead. ty

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Please post an image.

Or more information, like is the oral opening gaping? Is it floating around the tank?
    Does the water smell bad? Do you have a detectable ammonia level? Type of anemone?
    Age of tank and size?

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

It should appear wilted if it's dead. Can you get us a picture?

5. zzzzzzzzpr

sorry cant do a pic camera not working. its a LTA the foot isnt moving its stuck where i put him. amm lvls are good. its a 55g tank and 6months old. the mouth is exposed outward where before it was inside to the point u couldnt really see it.

6. Mr. Bill

From what you've said so far, it could be perfectly healthy and just not hungry. The fact it's foot is still attached is a good sign it's still alive. More questions: Do the base and tentacles look normal, or deflated and/or discolored? Is the mouth gaping open?

7. Corailline

Ok,

The anemone, should be attached, it may not be where you put it. Anemones rarely stay where you want them to, and if you try to move them or keep them in one area, it usually stresses them to the point of death.

A dead or dying anemone could have mesenterial filaments showing or exposed out of the oral opening, you should have a detectable ammonia level. It may detach and float around the tank.

How long have you had this anemone?

Do not try to feed it, and just because it does not close does not mean it's dying.

8. Click Here!

9. zzzzzzzzpr

the coloring of foot and tens are good and inflated cant see the mouth at the moment. it did try to float but got sucked into a pwrhead so i put him back where he was. ive had him for 1 week.

10. Mr. Bill

Excellent signs. Just leave it alone for a while. May take some time for it to adjust. It may also start to wander, looking for a more comfortable spot. I'd wait at least a week before trying to feed it again, and only feed a small amount once per week. You should also get some prefilter sponges for those powerheads so it doesn't get injured should it get to one again while you're away.

11. Corailline

Try putting knee high stocking (nylons) on the power heads ( cut and secured properly) to prevent the anemone from being getting sucked into the power heads.

As Mr.Bill posted give it more time, anemones take weeks to acclimate in my opinion.

12. zzzzzzzzpr

sweet thank you very much for the info. could i cut up a pair of the wifes knee highs :)? or should i go buy new ones? i have notice that the mouth was open. another question how often should i feed a LTA? another note it did close up like some corals.