amphipods

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by starfish2217, Jul 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

So I turned on my sump light and there are tons of little amphipods.. my question is.. will they make it into the DT? and should I put anything in the sump to eat them or anything. What are some Ideas of things to put into your sump?

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

That’s excellent – let them be, they will naturally migrate (vie pump) to the DT. You could put a sponge in the sump and then put it in the DT. Ideally, I would place a few small rocks near the return pump to give them a home – they will get sucked up and feed your reef and replenish their own population. Sounds like you are doing very well – good for you.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Just make sure you do not have a prefilter sponge on your return pump. :)

5. starfish2217

awesome thanks :) I have the copepods too Im actually thinking about getting a mandarine. I know they are hard to keep though... but I have so many copepods and amphipods...

I dont so thats good :) i will put a bit of LR down in the return pump chamber !

6. LGangway

LGangway Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have the same problem, too many pods. I added a mandarin, but unfortunately I have some aggressive crabs and one got him. Woke up and about 5 crabs had picked her apart. She was getting fat off all of em too...

Do you have coral? If so, the pods are an awesome food source, so leave them be and your corals will love you for it!

-Luke

7. starfish2217

I do have coral haha I feed them a lot too but im sure they get some of the pods.

8. Click Here!

9. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

We have a prefilter and still have pods in the DT, but we used to shake the chaeto into the DT in the beginning. Doesn't take much for them to populate the DT if you transfer some.

10. starfish2217

I will have to try that, I already do have some in the DT I just really want to be ready for a mandarine goby..

11. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Well, unless they're really small amphipods or a bigger mandarin, its food of choice if going to lean more toward copepods than amphipods.

12. starfish2217

Thats what I figured, I do have a lot of tiny little white copeods too they are on the glass every morning..